USBDM Standalone SW: Adding Device Support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM Standalone SW: Adding Device Support

az1324
Contributor I

I have some USBDM JS16 hardware and I'd like to use the standalone programmer software with an MC68HC912DG128A.  Could anyone provide some guidance on adding support for this device?

Also does the software support s19 files with linear address format?

Thanks in advance.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

pgo
Senior Contributor V

I believe MC68HC912DG128 is supported by the lastest version.  I believe this will work with the 'A' version.

Unfortunately this is only for the banked model.

bye

0 Kudos

az1324
Contributor I

Thanks for your response.  I have version 4.8.0 but I don't see any references to 68HC12 family devices anywhere.  I do see support for MC9S12DG128 devices under HCS12 family.

I am not experienced with these devices so please correct me but I think the following is true about MC9S12DG128 and MC68HC912DG128A:

• basic memory layout seems to be the same
  • some register locations are different
  • S12 version supports additional BDM v4 commands
  • 68HC12 version does not support SYNC command for clock recovery
  • flash control registers are fundamentally different

Also the "A" suffix device added the low voltage programmable flash and:

The Flash Control Register (FEECTL) is in the same location. However,
the individual bit functions have changed significantly to support the new
technology.

Programming of the flash is greatly simplified over previous HC12s. The read / verify / re-pulse programming algorithm is replaced by a much simpler method.

Based on the above it appears that the flash programming algorithm for S12 series devices would not be compatible with the MC68HC912DG128A and additionally a generic algorithm for 68HC12 series devices would not either because of the flash changes mentioned above.

So please let me know if have I missed something in the package that would provide the support necessary for this chip.  It seems like what is needed is a compatible algorithm and a proper xml device description.  I am not sure if any other changes beyond this would be necessary.

Also it seems like it would be not too difficult to either add support for linear s19 files in FlashProgramming.cpp or convert the files to paged (there may be existing s/w that does this?).

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

0 Kudos

az1324
Contributor I

Upon additional review it seems that the flash programming RAM routine is compiled into the software so it would have to be recompiled with a new routine along with a new tcl script and xml device file.

Any other standalone programming S/W out there (besides prog12z)?

0 Kudos

pgo
Senior Contributor V

You are quite correct - The MC68HC912DG128A is quite different to the 9S12 devices.

USBDM does not support these devices and I'm unsure if it would be practical at all to do so.  While the BDM interface appears similar the Flash is quite different (as you have pointed out).

The next version of USBDM will have the programming algorithm separate from the main C program so as to allow additional devices to be more easily added.  This is mainly to support more recent chips ((MCS12XS etc).  I won't be looking at the earlier chips mainly because I don't have any!  Linear addressing will also be added.

Sorry for the misleading earlier reply.

I also note that codewarrior V5.1 doesn't support these chips with TBDML so it is not possible to program them in this manner either.

bye

0 Kudos

az1324
Contributor I

Thanks for the information.  Looking forward to the new features.  Any ETA?

Seems like there should be no trouble supporting the device since the basic BDM commands are the same.

This should help too:  http://cache.freescale.com/files/microcontrollers/doc/app_note/AN2166.pdf

0 Kudos