cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCI max baud rate?

khumphri
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Thu Nov 3, 2005  6:04 pm

I'm pushing numbers around in the SCI module, and have a question. If I set BUSCLK (or SCICLK, same difference) to, say 25 MHz, and set SCIBR to 1, the calculated baud rate is 1.562500 MHz. I don't have any hardware to try this on, so I have to ask: Is this possible in real life? Or is it like the PLL, where you can plug in numbers that can't be achieved in real life?

Posted: Fri Nov 4, 2005  2:32 pm

I think it should be ok. Mean to test it would be:

- to track in on the scope, if you have any

- to use both UART in loop mode, case where you have more than 1 UART.. MC9S12DP512 has two for example

- to enable the SCI loop back, this internally tie rx & tx together, this can be done by hardware also.

Be aware that sometime the transceiver, usually a MAX232, does not always support that speed. So for testing, avoid using transiver.

I know that Atmel does give this kind of possibilities (something like 2meg/sec) but only work (at least tested by me) on atmel-2-atmel communication.

Posted: Fri Nov 4, 2005  3:48 pm

> I think it should be ok. Mean to test it would be:

> - to track in on the scope, if you have any

> - to use both UART in loop mode, case where you have more than 1 UART..

> MC9S12DP512 has two for example

> - to enable the SCI loop back, this internally tie rx & tx together, this can be done

> by hardware also.

>

> Be aware that sometime the transceiver, usually a MAX232, does not always support

> that speed. So for testing, avoid using transiver.

Well, I know all that, but as I said, I don't have any hardware yet.

Posted: Fri Nov 4, 2005  9:00 pm

Hi there,

Sorry I thought you had a dev board but without a pc or anything to test it.

So I did test it myself, more for personal curiosity that anything and it does seem to work.

My setup uses a 10 MHz clock with PLL boosting BUSCLK to 22.727272 MHz.

Setting SCI0BR to 1 and enabling the internal loop gave expected result.

As I said, I'm not quite sure if there is transceiver doing the job at that speed. But for TTL-2-TTL, it is working well.

Posted: Sat Nov 5, 2005  9:26 pm

> So I did test it myself, more for personal curiosity that anything and it does

> seem to work. My setup uses a 10 MHz clock with PLL boosting BUSCLK

> to 22.727272 MHz. Setting SCI0BR to 1 and enabling the internal loop

> gave expected result.

OK, thanks for checking for me.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies