Ruth Hendrix

Newbie - what HCS12 device to start with?

Discussion created by Ruth Hendrix Employee on Jan 26, 2006
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 1:52 pm    

Hi there!

Just a short question - what HCS12 device would you recommend to a HCS12 beginner? I have experiences with other MCU's (AVR, MSP430) and I'd like to play with mighty HCS12 too.
Is HCS12DP256B a good choice? I can see that I can get free samples, Metrowerks IDE (32k limit) and also TBDML should support this one so I do not expect any issues but I'd better ask Smile I am not willing to spend any bucks on it at all - so I do not care about eval boards (with my decent Pixma IP4000 printer, 0.65mm pitch PCB is a piece of cake for me Wink)

Any other recommendations are welcome!

Thanks,
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:38 pm    

Sounds like a good choice thus far. I am just curious - are you going to be doing a Gootee board? I am interested to hear how this turns out. Also Metrowerks supports an unlimited ammount of ASM should that you desire to program in ASM.
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 3:57 pm    

Quote:
I am just curious - are you going to be doing a Gootee board?

You mean this method? http://www.fullnet.com/u/tomg/gooteepc.htm
No, just an old boring photoprocess. It works great for me and it is reasonably cheap (1-2EUR per half-eurocard). Also note that my printer is inkjet, not laser, so gootee would not work AFAIK.
Quote:
Also Metrowerks supports an unlimited ammount of ASM should that you desire to program in ASM.

Yes, I saw that on their pages. I will probably stay away of ASM as I am much more productive in C - not mentioning stealing my code from my AVR projects and reusing them on HCS12 Wink (I've done it with MSP430 too and some code is stolen even from PIC Cool )

Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 4:04 pm    

I would start witha C32 as you won't get frustrated with the 32K limit of Codewarrior. Rolling Eyes
Posted: Mon Jul 18, 2005 8:20 pm 

Quote:

I would start witha C32 as you won't get frustrated with the 32K limit of Codewarrior. Rolling Eyes

This also makes sense Smile On the other hand, if I could mix 32k code compiled from C sources and unlimited assembly, I could leverage the assembly code for constants (you know, sound samples, graphics etc.) Maybe I should get both C32 and 256...

Outcomes