Scrolling through large source code in Metrowerks Debugger

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scrolling through large source code in Metrowerks Debugger

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Thu Jun 30, 2005 5:54 pm    

I am not sure if this is a bug or a limitation with the special edition license for CodeWarrior 4.1, but I can't scroll past line #32768 in my source code without the debugger going back to line 1.

Has anyone else seen this? I am programming an S12XDP512. I made an example using the simulator. You can download the example program from http://www.s12x.com/datagram/Bug%200001.zip

If you go to the debugger and page down, you can see all of the code. However, if you grab the slider indicator to try to pull down to the bottom of the code, the window resets to line 1. See Screen1.bmp in the zip file.

Thanks.

Posted: Tue Jul 05, 2005 2:25 am    

I am able to replicate this problem as well. Perhaps someone from MW will pick up on this thread. I am unsure if it is a bug or a license issue. It is possible that the data structure for the scroll bar they are using only holds a signed 16 bit value and when scrolling past 32767 causes an overflow and an error handler they had set up resets it back line 0. I have seen similar bugs in Microsoft Visual Basic and other IDEs.

Posted: Thu Jul 07, 2005 2:27 pm    

Hi,

I have e-mailed Metrowerks support and those guys are really quick! Here is their reply:

Quote:

File fixing the problem is at:

ftp://ftp3.metrowerks.com/pub/dropzone/source.wnd-proto-CW12V41-07-jul-05.zip

The "source.wnd" file should be replaced (after backup) in "prog" folder of CodeWarrior installation. I cannot guarantee how long this file will remain on FTP server due to the limited storage space.

I have not tried it yet - can anyone confirm whether the fix works?

Posted: Sat Jul 09, 2005 7:27 pm

I noticed they said they wont host it for long I will mirror it on S12X.com... You think they will make a new release or patch for it? I assume the next release would have the fix built in.

edit - here is the link

http://www.s12x.com/files/source.wnd-proto-CW12V41-07-jul-05.zip

Posted: Mon Jul 11, 2005 2:19 pm    

Thanks it works!!

Do you know if there has been any progress with being able to step through code that is defined globally?

Thanks again.

Posted: Tue Jul 12, 2005 1:38 pm    

Hi,

I guess you mean code which is placed into a global address range in the linker file. I am not aware of any fix from Metrowerks for that, we will probably need to wait for the next full release of the tools which I am being told will happen "soon".

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies