MaskSet

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MaskSet

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:22 am    

Hi Guys
every now and then I hear about this "MASKSET", I know what it is but is but never had to worry about it. Is it an issue in the Freescale Micros?
best regards
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 7:33 am    

Well that depends on what you are doing, each maskset will have an errata associated with it until the final mask set. If you are happy with the errata and workaround, then no problem, if not you man need to find a newer mask set.
Posted: Tue Jun 21, 2005 12:27 pm

Yo,

Consider a MaskSet as a Version of the MCU.

If problems are discovered, Errata are issued.
In order to fix an Erratum or improve the micro, a new MaskSet is fabricated.
Some small problems could require only few layers to be modified, in this case only the first number is increased (i.e. 1L50P to 3L50P for a HC908GZ60).
In other cases, the designer may prefer/need to change more layers. In this case, the rest would change (i.e. 6J61D to 2J74Y for the old HC908AZ60). That does NOT mean the first part had major defects: a fab transfer requires new masks. These fab transfers are advertised through PCN (Product Change Notice) on Freescale website.

Freescale documentation is refering to Masksets as it is the best way to distinguish versions of the silicon for specific info (like Errata).
Posted: Wed Jun 22, 2005 11:41 am    

Ok, thanks for the info, that clarifies it. The problem is how do you keep up to date of the changes on the MASKSET and the problems that the previous MASK has? Do you subscribe to some Frescale service or do you need to check regulary?
Further more is this a very common thing in FreeScale's Micros?
best regards
Posted: Mon Jun 27, 2005 12:16 pm    

You can do both things to stay "aware".
If you register on FSL website, you can also register for a kind of newsletter you compose yourself by chosing what you want to receive.
Personally, I received all info on 8 and 16 bits MCU + stuff on 3rd parties.

Quite good as it tells you when new revision of datasheet are available& if something has been discovered, how to fix it (if possible).

I don't understand what you mean with your last question Embarassed

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies