CW for PPC - Flash programmer - Source code for existing NAND algorithm?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

CW for PPC - Flash programmer - Source code for existing NAND algorithm?

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

We have a new board with an MPC8308 and a smallish (512Mbit, 64MB) NAND device on the board (ST NAND512W3A2).  We've tried adding it to the part definition files for the CW flash programming tool, borrowing one of the two possibly compatible ST algorithms (NAND02 or NAND08), but neither algorithm is 100% compatible.  So we're resigned to writing our own algorithm driver for this part.

I see that example code is provided for the K9NBG08U5M device (whoever wrote the code has some religious objection to informative comments).  I don't suppose anyone might know about whether source code is available for either of the existing ST parts (NAND02 or NAND08)?  Logic would dictate that starting from a driver for a sister part would save time.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

Tim562
Senior Contributor I

You might check the manufacturers website. I know for example that Micron Tech has source code for thier NAND Flash device drivers posted online.

~Tim

0 Kudos

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Thanks.  As it turns out, Freescale would like to release the source code for their algos, but there are apparently legal issues around that which they'd have to resolve first.  As it turns out, I was able to cobble together a driver for our flash based on the one example that Freescale provided.

Unfortunately, it turns out that what Freescale has provided is the "K9NBG08U5M_SPARE" driver, which uses the spare area of each page as plain data.  This is, frankly, dumb - anyone using this driver to burn a U-Boot, Linux kernel, or other image is going to need ECC functions enabled.  I did manage to tweak the driver to allow for ECC generation.

I'm considering sending our driver in to Freescale so they can improve the quality of their other drivers (there were a few bugs/oversights in the supplied driver).

0 Kudos