PART 1: HCS12IDE

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PART 1: HCS12IDE

RChapman
Contributor I
This message contains an entire topic ported from a separate forum. The original message and all replies are in this single message. We have seeded this new forum with selected information that we expect will be of value to you as you search for answers to your questions.

Posted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 4:45 pm    

Would anyone be intersted in a free/cheap HCS12 ASM IDE? I'm presently working on an HCS12 IDE in my spare time. Some of its current features are

1.Project Workspace
2.Relative/Static path option to project files
3.Complete HCS12 Assembly syntax highlighting.
4.Block commenting and uncommenting. Comments are also highlighted.
5.Identifiers highlighted. Ex. $ % #
6.Editior has view splitting so you can view and edit the same file in up to 4 panes in a single code window at one time all updating in real time.
7.Integrated Unlimited command strcuture. Ex. make, debug, program, covert, etc add as many as you like.
8.Add related documents that start in there associated windows program. Ex. myHCS12.PDF
9.Some more stuff...

Also if you would like C support I could add that
Posted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:57 am    

Hi,
It seems like a massive job to me!
I think it could be a good idea to support C as well, as you have quite some competition in the free market.

Do you intend to limit the space ? Smile

Good Luck Exclamation

Posted: Wed Jan 05, 2005 2:54 pm    

It's not too bad most of the code is pretty straight forward. It is kind of modeled after codewright. I will include support for C and possibly php as well, lots of people I know want a very lightweight php editor... Smile wanna try a recent build with isntaller/uninstaller? I can host it on my website if you'd like to check out what I have so far. Currently doesn't have C built in. I think the installer and everything is under 2MB. Anyone interested?

Posted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 1:31 pm    

What did you mean by do I intend to limit the space? I have no intention of limiting the space available to write code in. Or the ammount of files you can have in your project work space or anything like that. My original goal was to just make an IDE that I would like to use. Some people I have shown it to have shown interest so I thought I might just distribute it. I imagine I will make it free for non commercial use. But if a business wanted to use it I'd like them to throw a few bucks my way. I was thinking $10 or something? Clearly not something I want to get rich on but would be nice for some compensation. I don't think I will require anyone to pay anything for it as it really isn't THAT impressive. If anyone is intersted in helping to write code for it I may take that into consideration. The next item on my list is make a search that will dig through all/or selected code files and return a list of all results found containing the line of text that they were found on. Upon double clicking on that result it would take you to the file and line it was found on.

Also my new home PC is currently awaiting new memory from mwave.com they shipped me a stick of 256 that was labeled 512 when I ordered a stick of 512. That was fun to explain to there tech support/RMA department so I havent done any more development wtih it in the last few days. I think the compiled EXE is about 25KB (after being UPXd) right now though the installer weighs in at about ~2MB.

Looking forward to hearing some feedback.

Posted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 4:41 pm    

I rigged up my old laptop and worked on the IDE a bit last night. C syntax is now supported. ~30K EXE Laughing Anyone interested in trying it out?

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:38 am    

Yep!

Why not post it in the Uploads and give a link in this thread and Downloads ?! Smile

That way even shy people will be able to give it a go !

By size limit I was thinking as you said: only allow xKB for the 'free' version. But I love your idea of free for fun and small fee for biz'ness!

I don't usually use ASM anymore so you're C version is welcomed. Only time I'm coding in ASM is when I really need the compiler not to put its nose in my code Razz , mostly for very low level & investigate problems Confused

Cheers,

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 1:08 pm    

K, will try to get some version up tonight with some level of help. Look forward to hearing feedback.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 2:24 pm    

Please realize this is beta software and you are using it under your own discretion. If your computer explodes or screws up in any way I am in no way responsible for your problems.

Anyhow.. It's pretty simple to setup. I have a sample project in a folder called sample projects in the directory you install it in. Very rudementary install and uninstall right now. Shouldnt be any probs. Just to give you an idea of what to expect. Right now it auto select C or ASM by the file extention. C,H and CPP are recognized as C files. All other files will be picked up as assembly. The batch file command just does dir/p and there is a sample text file to show you the related documents feature. Look forward to some feedback. It can be downloaded from this page:

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:00 pm    

OK back to the original question, will anyone be inetersted, well I'm not to sure but I know someone who will have a strong opinion, stevep is really keen on using some open source IDEs. Drop him a pm and ask him to have a look.

Posted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:39 pm    

Will do. Maybe I will look into starting one of those CVS thigns were everyone can contribute to the code. I work on it at home and show ppl at work and modify it there. Its even hard for me to keep up with when I last made a change Smile

Posted: Wed Jan 12, 2005 3:30 am    

Anyone know a free CVS I could put the project up on? I am writing it in Microsoft Visual Basic 6 and I have read that there is a plug-in for source safe to use CVS. (Never used either but am ready/willing to learn). Don't mind releasing the source (clearly I would administer changes though). Thanks for your time.

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:54 pm    

Quote:
Anyone know a free CVS I could put the project up on? I am writing it in Microsoft Visual Basic 6 and I have read that there is a plug-in for source safe to use CVS. (Never used either but am ready/willing to learn). Don't mind releasing the source (clearly I would administer changes though). Thanks for your time.

Try sourceforge:

http://sourceforge.net/index.php

Posted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 7:19 pm  

Quote:
Would anyone be intersted in a free/cheap HCS12 ASM IDE? I'm presently working on an HCS12 IDE in my spare time. Some of its current features are

1.Project Workspace
2.Relative/Static path option to project files
3.Complete HCS12 Assembly syntax highlighting.
4.Block commenting and uncommenting. Comments are also highlighted.
5.Identifiers highlighted. Ex. $ % #
6.Editior has view splitting so you can view and edit the same file in up to 4 panes in a single code window at one time all updating in real time.
7.Integrated Unlimited command strcuture. Ex. make, debug, program, covert, etc add as many as you like.
8.Add related documents that start in there associated windows program. Ex. myHCS12.PDF
9.Some more stuff...

Also if you would like C support I could add that

Did you consider using eclipse [http://www.eclipse.org/]. It's a very capable platform independant IDE written in Java running on Linux (and Windowz).

It's been adopted by many companies such as TI, WindRiver, Intel & Mentor Graphics to mention a few.

Message Edited by RChapman on 01-26-2006 10:15 AM

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
0 Replies