Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

USBDM 4.7 Device Not Responding

Jump to solution
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

Hi all,

I need a some help.  I am using USBDM version 4.7 and codewarrior version 5.9.  I am attempting to load serial monitor into a HCS12DG128.  All I get is device not responding when I attempt to debug the standard Freescale Serial Monitor code.  The first thing I would like to do is just verify that all my connections are correct.  I have attached a copy of my schematic.  Can anyone veryify pin out?  If this is all OK maybe we can dig into the settings and what nots.

Thanks,

James

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

What made it work:

I installed CW 5.1 on windows 7.  Installed USBDM 4.8.  Flashed the pod to the 4.8 firmware.

I am now able to program my micro.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
13 Replies
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

After a quick glance (and from memory!)

XCLKS is active low and you have it active.  Doesn't this mean an external clock source rather than a XTAL?

R16 seems very low.  I would have expected about 1M?

bye

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

PGO,

Per the data sheet XCLKS is low for an external clock or the Pierce configuration.  It is only high for the Colpitts oscilator. 

The schematic I attached earlier is also has an error.  modb and moda are tied low to enable Normal Single Chip mode.

James

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear james,

Just shows you how good my memory is!

For reference I've attached a design I did previously for a DP256. This board works fine with a DG128 without any changes.  It uses the Pierce OSC.

I assume you can check the BDM with another board/chip so you know it's working?

Things to check (which you probably have already done if you have a CRO):

• Check for oscillator activity on XTAL/EXTAL
  • Check ECLK activity
  • The RESET signal should go low when the BDM is initially attempting to connect.
  • The BKGD signal should have activity when connecting.

I can provide more detail on the RESET/BKGD signal connect sequence if useful.

bye

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

Thanks for the example.  Looking at it, the hardware should be good.

When I looked at the RESET and BKGD pins on the scope there is no activity.  I did have some difficulties installing the drivers originally but beleive they may be correct as my computer does recognize the pod.  I do not have another board to test the operation of the pod.  I did have a micro fail when the pod was connected but appears to be functioning correctly after replacing it.  It is possible that it damaged the pod as well but I was having the same connection problems prior to this.

Is there a method for testing the pod as a stand alone device to verify operation?

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

Dear James,

There is TCL command interpreter supplied with the later version of usbdm.  In V4.7 & 4.8 this is available in the start menu.

Type ? to get a list of commands.

You can do a basic output pin static test with the following commands:

;# Simple BDM test openbdmsettarget hcs12

pinSet rst=LpinSet rst=3 pinSet bkgd=L pinSet bkgd=3

You would need to supplied power to the BDM connector for this to affect the pins if you are using an unpowered BDM.  This should be done without the target connected.

The following provides a repeating loop for testing with a CRO:

;# Simple BDM test loopopenbdmsettarget hcs12proc test {} {   for { set i 1 } { $i <= 100 } { incr i } {     pinSet rst=L  ; after 10;     pinSet rst=3  ; after 10;     pinSet bkgd=L ; after 10;     pinSet bkgd=3 ; after 10;     pinSet bkgd=H ; after 10;     pinSet bkgd=3 ; after 10;   }}

Save it to a file (say testbdm.tcl)  in the same directory as the USBDM files and then use:

source testbdm.tcltest

to load script and execute the test procedure.

bye

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

Before I installed USBDM V4.8, I read one of these threads that was talking about errors when using virtual machines.  As I only have windows 7 64 and codewarrior 5.9, I had to run it in XP mode.  I downloaded CW 5.1 and installed on windows 7.  I also installed USBDM 4.8.  Windows would not recognize the pod.  I used the zadig app from the 4.6 download and then windows was happy.  When the pod is plugged into a USB port, the red LED is lit continuously.  When I use TBDML as the connection the red LED momentarily turns off after starting debugging and then immediately back on.  The command window says no link to target.  If I select P&E Multilink/Cyclone Pro as the connection, the LED is always red and the command window says unable to load PEOSBDMV1.DLL.  In any case there is still no activity on the BCKG or RESET lines.

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

So I went to play with the TCL interpretor and when using the openbdm command the response is found 1 device and then failed to open device 0 and then USB transfer error.  At this point all I can think is there is stil something missing from my installation.

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

It is important to use the same BDM firmware version as the PC software.

I suggest you try the stand-alone HCS12 programmer.  It reports the BDM firmware version and DLL version on the the first tab.

If they are not the same then you should update the BDM firmware using the USBDM Bootloader.  The firmware files are provided in the installation directory.  There is a link on the start menu to the folder.

Note that one firmware file was incorrect and a newer version was uploaded to sourceforge separately.

The procedure is given part way down this page:

Update of BDM Firmware and changing serial number.

http://usbdm.sourceforge.net/USBDM_V4.8/USBDM_JS16/html/installation_page.html

This is for a JS16 BDM but is similar for other versions,

bye

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

It appears as though you have already addressed this issue in another post but the firmware in the 4.8 folder is for the Kinetis board.  I was going to load the 4.7 firmware as you suggested but it does not appear to be available anymore on sourceforge.

0 Kudos
pgo
Senior Contributor V

The Firmware files have been included in the .msi installs.  both for V4.7 & V4.8 but the image for one hardware (USBDM_JMxxCLD_V4.sx) was built incorrectly in the latter and has been uploaded separately on Sourceforge,

Any changes in the firmware for V4.7 was rolled into the final posted version (USBDM_4_7_0i_Win.msi).

I would suggest installing V4.8 and downloading the separate flash image if necessary.

I'm sorry - This seems to have been a lot of stuffing about!

Could you advise what hardware you are using if you still have problems?

bye

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

The programming pod I am using is this one:

http://www.technologicalarts.ca/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=572

My micro is a MC9S12DG128.

I will check for the other firmware files later this evening.

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

PGO,

I am talking to my micro now.  Thanks for all the guidance and patience.  I'm still having problems with what appears to be freescale's serial monitor code but I beleive I am past any of problems with the pod.

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
DoneBrokeIt
Contributor II

What made it work:

I installed CW 5.1 on windows 7.  Installed USBDM 4.8.  Flashed the pod to the 4.8 firmware.

I am now able to program my micro.

0 Kudos