AnsweredAssumed Answered

Having difficulties with the MCF5272 microprocessor QSPI module - Can't initiate a read cycle

Question asked by Garrett Schepper on Dec 21, 2011
Latest reply on Jan 11, 2012 by Garrett Schepper

Hi, I am using the MCF5272 microprocessor QSPI module to interface with various on board ADC and DAC chips. My code is able to xmit out data over the Dout line to these devices, but is not able to receive any data in return on the Din line.

To simplify my debugging effort, I elected to focus on the AD7734 ADC only. I wrote a basic routine to read the AD7734 status register. I have placed it in a forever loop so that the QSPI signals can be monitored with a scope. From the scope I can see the write cycle signal activity on the QSPI Clk, chip selects, and Dout signals. These signals look correct. However, there is no follow on read cycle activity (eg. no activity on the Din line). I don’t know if this approach is correct, but I am causing a 2nd cycle by writing a 0xff to the AD7734. I would have thought that the QSPI would initiate a read cycle regardless. Why can’t I get a QSPI read cycle? What am I doing wrong here? Please help. Thank you in advance.

My code snippets are listed as follows:

int InitGpioPorts(void){    uint32 u32temp;    // Configure Port A to the defined signals, signals not defined are configured as GPIO pins.    *PortACntReg = SPI_CS3 | SPI_CS1 | USB_TP | USB_RP | USB_RN | USB_TN | USB_SUSP | USB_TXEN |USB_RXD;    *PortADirReg = CELLS_OFF_I | AUTOZERO_I | EXTSTRT_CELLS_I | FLASH_RDY_BSY_I | DOOR_AJAR_I;    // Configure Port B to all GPIO pins.    *PortBCntReg = ALL_PB;    *PortBDirReg = PSTAT_ADDR0_O | PSTAT_ADDR1_O | PSTAT_ADDR2_O | IDSHDN_O | ONE_WIRE_O                     | PSTAT_DETECT_A_I | PSTAT_DETECT_B_I | ANOUT1_DET_I | ANOUT2_DET_I;    // Configure Port D    u32temp = *PortDCntReg;    *PortDCntReg = (u32temp & 0xFFFFCFCF) | SPI_CS2 | PWM_1;    return (Channel::msOK);} // End InitGpioPorts()            // GJS: Test purposes stuff follows:            *SpiDelayReg = 0;       // set zero delay start and end for chip select enables            *SpiIRQReg = 0xF;       // IRQ will not be used clear any IRQs            i16temp = MASTER_MODE | TRANS_SIZE_8 | DATA_CAPT_FALL_EDGE | SET_BAUD_CTR;  // set baud rate to 1 MHz            *SpiModeReg = i16temp;            // FOREVER LOOP            while (1)            {                // Inverted chip select 14: PSTAT AD7734                 *SpiAddressReg = 0x00;          // QSPI WR BUF addr reg                *SpiDataReg = 0x44;             // Write to AD7734's comm reg, status reg addr to read it                *SpiDataReg = 0xff;             // To keep DOUT stable when reading.                *SpiAddressReg = 0x20;                      // QSPI CMD BUF addr reg                *SpiDataReg = INV_CS_DC_PSTAT_ADC_INPUT;           // Select DC_PSTAT_ADC_INPUT, 8 bits (QSPI_CS set to 0x01, inverted CS 14)                *SpiDataReg = INV_CS_DC_PSTAT_ADC_INPUT;           // Select DC_PSTAT_ADC_INPUT, 8 bits                // Start the QSPI process of xmitting the data...                *SpiIRQReg = CLEAR_TRANS_CMP_FLAG;                  // Clear complete bit             *SpiWrapReg = SPI_QUE_END_1 | SPI_QUE_START_0 | CHIP_SEL_ACTIVE_LOW;    // Set queue starting and ending points for the next data xfer.  No Wraparound.                *SpiDelayReg = QSPI_START_TRANSFER;                 // Start control transfer;                // Wait for the xfer to complete.                while (!(*SpiIRQReg & TRANS_CMP_FLAG));                *SpiIRQReg = CLEAR_TRANS_CMP_FLAG;                  // Clear complete bit                *SpiAddressReg = 0x10;          // QSPI RD BUF addr reg                i16temp = *SpiDataReg;          // Read the AD7734's status reg                i16temp = *SpiDataReg;          // Read the AD7734's status reg                tx_thread_sleep(50);        // GJS: For test purposes only,  delete when done.            } // end while(1)

Outcomes