Marten Hildell

Remove sections extab, extabindex in C

Discussion created by Marten Hildell on Dec 13, 2011
Latest reply on Dec 20, 2011 by Marten Hildell

Hi,

I'm trying to remove the extab, extabindex sections when compiling only C-files. The problem is that the linker really wants them and adds them again even if I remove them from the linkfile. 

I'm using the following options to compile/link:

$ mwcceppc.exe -c -dialect=c99 -gccext=on -gdwarf-2 -gccinc -cwd explicit -msgstyle gcc -opt off  -gccdepends -MD -W=most -abi=eabi -ppc_asm_to_vle   -vle   -abi=eabi -proc=5565 -fp=soft -use_isel=on -sdata=0 -sdata2=0 $ mwldeppc.exe -romaddr 0x0  -rambuffer 0x0 -gdwarf-2 -m _start <..snip...> -lRuntime.PPCEABI.VS.a    -lMSL_C.PPCEABI.bare.SZ.VS.a  

The linkfile attached have the extab,extabindex section so it works.

If I remove the sections by:

/*     extab      : {} *//*     extabindex : {} */

Will get me:

### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   No linker command file input for section 'extab' in file #   <snip>\os_simple.o'.#   Output section 'extab' will be created.### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   No linker command file input for section 'extabindex' in file #   <snip>\os_simple.o'.#   Output section 'extabindex' will be created.### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   Overlap of the .rcw section and extab section.### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   Overlap of the extab section and .rcw section.### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   Overlap of the ROM image address of .rcw section with executable address

Ok, so now I'm thinking that somehow I have some C++ code in there (although I have the -dialect=c99).

To be really sure I don't, I add the following option when compiling

-Cpp_exceptions=off

Then I get:

### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   No linker command file input for section 'extab' in file 'New.o'.#   Output section 'extab' will be created.### mwldeppc.exe Linker Warning:#   No linker command file input for section 'extabindex' in file 'New.o'.#   Output section 'extabindex' will be created.

Strange. In my project I don't have any file named New.x and I link with C-only libs and C only options.

In the codewarrior runtime I found a New.cp file that I guess is included in the runtime library, but how do I remove it?

What am I missing?

Cheers

/Marten

Using:

$ /c/devtools/cw_55xx/PowerPC_EABI_Tools/Command_Line_Tools/mwcceppc.exe --versionFreescale C/C++ Compiler for Embedded PowerPC.Copyright(C) 2010, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc.All rights reserved.Version 4.3 build 182Runtime Built: Aug  4 2010 21:46:36

On a MPC5606.

Outcomes