SCI access (BDM vs. Serial Monitor Programming)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

SCI access (BDM vs. Serial Monitor Programming)

onnimikki
Contributor I

Hi,

I want to set up a demo for SCI access for my students on a 9s12c32 board (Tech. Arts Esduino).  While I can use a BDM, they're using the onboard serial monitor.  When programming from a P&E BDM the SCI port will talk to a terminal program on the host computer (Win XP using RealTerm or HyperTerminal).  However, when I try to load the same code onto a 9s12c32 via the serial monitor almost nothing appears in the PC's terminal application (except hex F0) and then the code appears to hang on the 9s12c32.    I tried a sample code from Jon Valvano (http://users.ece.utexas.edu/~valvano/Starterfiles/SCI_9S12.zip) including some variations of my own and they all seem to have the same problem. 

I'm using the serial monitor availabe at Tech. Arts: http://www.technologicalarts.ca/support/docs/Esduino/Code/SerialMonitor/UseWithHiwave/ESD12C32_Seria...

Any suggestions on how to resolve this issue?

Thanks!

james

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

onnimikki
Contributor I

Ah, it appears that I posted too soon.  I uncovered the source of the problem: it's related to jumpers on the Esduino 9s12c32 board.

It turns out that the Esduino 9s12c32 board has three active SCI lines that come out of the USB-RS232 converter module: RX, TX and DTR.  The DTR line is, by default, routed through a jumper (JB6) that permits the DTR signal to automatically control the serial monitor from the host computer.  By setting the JB6 jumper to "MAN" (manual), the Load/Run switch (SW1) now permits me to control when the board is in load mode (for interacting with the serial monitor) and run mode (which ignores the serial monitor and runs user code).

I've since tested a few versions of the serial code and it now appears that I can load the code via the serial monitor and have it run without problems after a power down, switch to "run" mode, and power-on / reset.

:smileyhappy:

James

0 Kudos