cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

imxrt 1170 flashloader build

Jump to solution
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

I'm trying to build flashloader SDK example for imxrt 1170 and use it to replace the "ivt_flashloader.bin" provided by "security provision tool 3.1"

so far I have been able to:

1) build it in mcuexpresso, load it from jtag and make it communicate with blhost

2) use the created axf file to generate a bootable image from SPT, load it with SPT and connect to blhost after a reset.

I have not been able to find how to create a replacemente for "C:\nxp\MCUX_Provi_v3.1\bin\data\targets\MIMXRT1176\ivt_flashloader.bin".

All I got is a bin file that after the blhost load-image command will not start. I suppose I'm doing something wrong and generate an image that is not loaded into ram

Can someone provide instruction to create a replacement for "C:\nxp\MCUX_Provi_v3.1\bin\data\targets\MIMXRT1176\ivt_flashloader.bin"?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

I was able to solve my probelm by:

1.  change MCU setting
  2. update bd file to work with serial downloader

MCU setting.PNG

options {
    flags = 0x00;
    startAddress = 0x2024ff00;
    ivtOffset = 0x0000;
    initialLoadSize = 0x2000;
    # Note: This is required if the default entrypoint is not the Reset_Handler 
    #       Please set the entryPointAddress to the base address of vector table
    // entryPointAddress = 0x20002000;
}

sources {
    elfFile = extern(0);
}

section (0)
{
}

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

I was able to solve my probelm by:

1.  change MCU setting
  2. update bd file to work with serial downloader

MCU setting.PNG

options {
    flags = 0x00;
    startAddress = 0x2024ff00;
    ivtOffset = 0x0000;
    # Note: This is required if the default entrypoint is not the Reset_Handler 
    #       Please set the entryPointAddress to the base address of vector table
    // entryPointAddress = 0x20002000;
}

sources {
    elfFile = extern(0);
}

section (0)
{
}

0 Kudos
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

EDIT: message removed

0 Kudos
Omar_Anguiano
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello

Hope you are well. You can use elftosb tool to create that file. This post can be used as reference: https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT-Knowledge-Base/Generating-a-Bootable-Image-for-the-RT1050/ta-p/...

First, you need to copy the file "imx-dtcm-unsigned.bd" from this sdk location "SDK_2_10_0_MIMXRT1170-EVK\middleware\mcu-boot\bin\Tools\bd_file\imxrt117x" into the location of the elftosb from the provision tool location.

Generate the s19 file and copy it into the previous location.

Omar_Anguiano_1-1630344731038.png
You can execute the following command to generate the bootable image: ".\elftosb.exe -f imx -V -c imx-dtcm-unsigned.bd -o ivt_flashloader.bin evkmimxrt1170_flashloader_cm7.s19"

Omar_Anguiano_2-1630344744215.png
Let me know if this is helpful, if you have more questions do not hesitate to ask me.
Best regards,
Omar

0 Kudos
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

Hi Omar,

thanks for your reply, I have tried your suggestion but it does not solve my problem.

I have just modified a little your instructions and I got a my_ivt-flashloader.bin that can be booted and executed.

1. build flashloader from mcu expresso
  2. generate s19
  3. run ".\elftosb.exe -f imx -V -c my-imx-dtcm-unsigned.bd -o my_ivt_flashloader.bin evkmimxrt1170_flashloader_cm7.s19"

this is the content of my-imx-dtcm-unsigned.bd (copied from the one created by provisioning tool)

options {
    flags = 0x00;
    startAddress = 0x2024e000;
    ivtOffset = 0x1000;

entryPointAddress = 0x20250401;
}

sources {
    elfFile = extern(0);
}

section (0) {
}

With those instructions I'm able to create my_ivt_flashloader.bin that can be written to imxrt1170 and then is able to boot after setting boot_mode[1:0] pins to 10 (internal boot) and performing a POR.

If I told MCU security provisioning tools generated script "write_image_win.bat" to use my_ivt_flashloader.bin it was not able to use it.

@echo ### Load FlashLoader ###
    call "%blhost%" %rom_connect% -j -- load-image "c:\test\my_ivt_flashloader.bin"
    if errorlevel 2 exit 2

@echo ### Waiting FlashLoader to be initialized for 3 seconds ###
    @echo ### Timeout wait value can be adjusted from Preferences ###
    setlocal EnableDelayedExpansion
    SET /A "timeout=3 + 1"
    ping -n !timeout! 127.0.0.1 >NUL
    endlocal

@echo ### Check presence of FlashLoader ###
    call "%blhost%" %blhost_connect% -j -- get-property 7 0
    if errorlevel 2 exit 2

The load-image command seems not able to start the downloaded flashloader

What I like to achieve is being able to replace the nxp original flashloader in the write_image_win.bat with my_ivt_flashloader.bin.

I was able to achieve the result with imxrt1060 without any problem, but it use different commands for uploading flashloader since it use sdphost with 2 commands:

1. write-file
  2. jump-address

instead the imxrt1170 use the blhost protocol and use a single command:

1. load-image

Any idea on how create a bin file that load-image command is able to load and then automatically run?

best regards,
Marco

0 Kudos
MarcoBelli1
Contributor II

EDIT: message removed

0 Kudos