i.MXRT1052 Coin Cell Battery draining quickly

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MXRT1052 Coin Cell Battery draining quickly

timvielhaber
Contributor I

Have a coin cell connected to VDD_SNVS_IN via a schottky diode.  Battery is draining much faster than anticipated.  

pastedImage_1.png

I notice the TEST_MODE input, which must be grounded, has a 100k pullup.  For a 3V battery, that's 30 uA.  Data sheet shows 18 uA for RTC.  Just wondering why my battery appears to drain in a week or so just sitting on the shelf.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Tim, 

When designing your board did you follow the recommendations that we give in the Hardware Development Guide? I cannot assure you that having a pull-up resistor in the TEST_MODE pin is the reason for the behavior that you are facing but it's important that you remove this pull-up resistor. You can leave this pin either floating or connected to GND. 

The power consumption will depend on a couple of things, for example, if you are sending the RT to a low power mode, which peripherals you leave activated, and the frequency of the clock. 

It's important to keep in mind that the measures that we provide in the datasheet were mode with nothing connected to the RT, which is not your case. In your case, all the external circuitry that you have on your board will demand power from the coin cell in this case. 

If you can share your schematic I can review it to see if there's something on the hardware that might be helping the battery to drain faster. 

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos