Jump to solution
AJGriggs
Contributor II

RT1020-EVK Rev 3 with std debug switch settings SW8-1=>4  off off on off
Product: MCUXpresso IDE
Version: MCUXpresso IDE v11.3.0 [Build 5222] [2021-01-11]
Operating system: Linux
VM: OpenJDK 64-Bit Server VM (64 bit)

Debug build (success) of iled_blinky project and attempt to download to debug port:

Read timed out
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.receive(RedlinkServerClient.java:941)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.sendReceive(RedlinkServerClient.java:1031)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.sendReceive(RedlinkServerClient.java:1016)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.sendReceive(RedlinkServerClient.java:1003)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.redlink.client.RedlinkServerClient.wireConnect(RedlinkServerClient.java:1152)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.ideConnect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:207)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.connect(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:187)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.jtag.AbstractJtagDiscovery.discover(AbstractJtagDiscovery.java:146)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.emulators.TargetDiscovery.jtagDiscovery(TargetDiscovery.java:444)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.getEmulatorInfo(LaunchScriptUtils.java:247)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.init(LaunchScriptUtils.java:487)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:155)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.launch.LaunchScriptUtils.<init>(LaunchScriptUtils.java:142)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.services.TargetDiscoveryService.getTargetDiscovery(TargetDiscoveryService.java:138)
at com.nxp.mcuxpresso.core.debug.support.linkserver.override.LSFinalLaunchSequence$TargetDiscoveryJob.run(LSFinalLaunchSequence.java:110)
at org.eclipse.core.internal.jobs.Worker.run(Worker.java:63)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Attempted to load binary by drag and drop to RT1020-EVK folder showing up in host file system:
After a delay, folder refreshes with FAIL.TXT file "The transfer timed out."
Reset EVK by SW5, led is blinking. Rebuilding with different flash rates and copying down verifies that the debug image is really changing on the EVK.

I have also loaded the Windows version of mcuxpresso and got the same result.

How to fix this problem so it can connect?

Regards,

AjG

0 Kudos
1 Solution
AJGriggs
Contributor II

Hello Jeremy Zhou,

The problem is my setup.
I have a DAS keyboard with two extension USB ports on the side that I always use. They have worked flawlessly even with other USB debugging tools. The i.MX RT1020 board fails to debug when attached to one of these side ports but works when plugged directly into the computer.

What have we learned? All USB ports are not created alike!

I appreciate your patience in attempting to resolve the issue and am sorry to have taken your time with a problem in my setup.

Regards,

AjG

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
10 Replies
AJGriggs
Contributor II

Repeat test using Windows version of MCUXpresso: Same result.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
To provide the fastest possible support, I'd highly recommend you refer to the link to test the MIMXRT1020 board.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
AJGriggs
Contributor II

Dear JeremyZhou,

Your suggested 'link' is the Basic Startup of the board. I am way past this basic setup.
- Board is seen by kx debug interface cpu as evidenced by the file folder showing up in the host pc file sys.
- The LED is blinking, and it's rate of blink can be changed by rebuilding and drag-drop of the new .axf.
- Both drag-drop and a debug run terminate with a time out.
- The latest versions of MCUXpresso and associated SDK for the IMXRT1020-EVK are loaded.
- I have made no modifications to CPU fuses from stock as delivered board.
- I have reflashed the kx debug interface CPU as you suggested.
     Same Problem.
- I have run the same tests after loading the latest Windows versions of MCUXpressso and SDK.
     Same problem.

I believe there is a fault in the debug protocol where it does not respond as expected.
Since the qspi flash can be loaded, this indicates that much of the protocol seems to be working.

I am prepared to run tests that you may specify to diagnose the problem including voltage measurements, oscilloscope traces, and logic analyzer runs as well as software tests.

The problem remains that I cannot connect to debug code on the EVK and drag and drop of files onto the RT1020-EVK folder will transfer a program to qspi but with a Timeout error.

Regards,

AjG

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
In my opinion, the issue is related to the onboard DAP-Link interfacer.
In the previous reply, the link of Get Started with the MIMXRT1020-EVK can help you to check the above debug tool is good.
In further, you can try this trick to recover.
1) Set the SW8 to Serial Downloader.
2) Power on the board, debug the demo project.
3) After that, power off and recover the SW8 to the previous set, then power on again.
4) Give a debug again.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
AJGriggs
Contributor II

I have tried your suggestion. Same result in debug => No response time out.
I restored the SW8 to original off off on off settings and tried again. Same result: no response timeout.
I then performed drag - and - drop. The result is the binary is loaded, but response in FAIL.TXT:
Flash algorithm write command FAILURE.

I noticed that there is activity on SW_DIO and SW_CLK jumpers during drag and drop, but No activity when trying to debug ( via oscilloscope).

Regards,

AjG

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
According to the testing result, I can jump to the conclusion that the issue is related to the onboard DAP-Link interfacer.
To confirm it, I'd like to suggest you try other IDEs to debug the board, in addition, if you have other debug tools likes the Jlink, you can try to use this tool to connect JTAG to debug the board.
Please give it a try.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
AJGriggs
Contributor II

Hello Jeremy Zhou,

The problem is my setup.
I have a DAS keyboard with two extension USB ports on the side that I always use. They have worked flawlessly even with other USB debugging tools. The i.MX RT1020 board fails to debug when attached to one of these side ports but works when plugged directly into the computer.

What have we learned? All USB ports are not created alike!

I appreciate your patience in attempting to resolve the issue and am sorry to have taken your time with a problem in my setup.

Regards,

AjG

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
It doesn't matter and I'm glad to hear that your problem was solved.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
AJGriggs
Contributor II

I have an idea on where the problem might be.
I have board version A3 which uses a Kinetis chip as the debug interface.
The current board is Rev B1 that uses an LPC chip:
B1 2018-10-17 Shawn Shi Change K20 based OPENSDA to LPC4322 based FREELINK, change load capacitor value of 32.768 KHz OSC,Route SWO trace signal to JTAG

I am wondering if there is a corresponding difference in the debug interface of MCUXpresso?

Regards,

AjG

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
According to your statement, it seems that you use an on-board debugger tool: DAP-Link to debug the board.
So I'd like to suggest you update the firmware of DAP-link via the link, then give it a try again.
In further, whether you can share the complete log of debugging in the Windows version of MCUXpression.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos