i.MX RT1170 with MCU Boot Utility

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1170 with MCU Boot Utility

zhudson22
Contributor II

I am trying to use the NXP MCU Boot Utility to flash the i.MX RT1170. I am able to connect and flash the example files that came in the apps\NXP_MIMXRT1170-EVK_rev.a folder however when I try to build one of the examples from the SDK in MCUXpresso and flash that it "flashes" without error but does not work, and appears to just not boot. I have tried bin, hex and s19 files all with the same result.

0 Kudos
6 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @zhudson22 ,

1. Before you connect the MIMXRT1170-EVK board to the MCUBootUtility, you need to set the MIMXRT1170-EVK board:

SW1:1-OFF 2-OFF 3-OFF 4-ON

Enter serial downloader mode.

Find two USB cable, one connect to J11, one connect to J20.  J38 5-6 connect.

2. In the MCUbootUtility, 

kerryzhou_0-1625637095256.png

Code use this one:

NXP-MCUBootUtility-3.3.0\apps\NXP_MIMXRT1170-EVK_Rev.A\cm7\led_blinky_0x3000a000.srec

kerryzhou_1-1625637105310.png

Then download the code, after downloading finished, SW1: 1-OFF,2-OFF 3-ON, 4-OFF.

Press reset, you will find the LED is blinking.

Please try it again on your side.

I have tested it, it's working.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

Shiva-2022
Contributor III

To use the MCU boot utility with EVK rt1170 board do we need two USB cables ? cant we connect and download with single USB ?

We have a single USB cable and we made the jumper settings as suggested but not able to connect.
Can you please suggest.

Thank you.

0 Kudos

zhudson22
Contributor II

Yes, sorry for the confusion the binary files( .bin, .hex and .srec) that come with the MCU Boot Utility are working. My issue is when I try to use a binary file that is generated by the build process in MCUXpresso. Here is my process perhaps I am missing a step.

1. I imported the evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_demo_cm7 example from the SDK into MCUXpresso. I also compiled and uploaded it with MCUXpresso to confirm that it works as expected.

2. Run Build on the project to generate the .axf file

3. In MCU Boot Utility immediately after flashing the working examples I boot the board back into serial downloader mode. I then change the Application Image File to the .axf generated above and they type to ".out(axf) from MCUXpresso" and run the "All-In-One Action" the runs to completion and posts no errors. I then reset the device and set it back to boot from flash.

At this point the board does not print hello world as would be expected but it also does not have the blinking light as it did before flashing so I know something is happening.

I have tried the above using .hex .s19 and .bin files all generated from the .axf using the context menu in MCUXpresso.

I have also tried using other examples from the SDK with identical results.

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @zhudson22 

Thanks for your updated information.

Please in your SDK project, set:

XIP_BOOT_HEADER_ENABLE=0

kerryzhou_1-1625808398585.png

Then generate the .s19 file, and download it again, you will find it works.

The MCUBootUtility need to use the app without the header.

The attachment is my generated .s19 file, you also can try it.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @zhudson22 

What's the RT1170 board you are using? NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK or not?

If yes, please use the debug mode to download the code with the SDK mcuxpresso IDE directly, whether that method, your led can blinking or not? Directly in the internal bootmode, not the serial download mode, after debugging works, then I can make sure your board has no issues, then we can go back to the MCUBootUtility tool in the serial download mode.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos

zhudson22
Contributor II

Yes, I am using the NXP MIMXRT1170-EVK

I am able to download code from MCUXpresso and debug it. I have confirmed this with several different example programs including evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_demo_cm7,  evkmimxrt1170_hello_world_demo_cm4,  evkmimxrt1170_iled_blinky_cm7, evkmimxrt1170_iled_blinky_cm4 and others.

0 Kudos