cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1052 dev board unstable with LCD connected and XIP

craigsmith
Contributor III

Hi,

I'm finding the i.MX RT1050 dev board is quite unstable and freezes/crashes when the LCD is plugged in when running code from the external hyper flash.  I'm wondering if anyone else has seen these issues and/or can point me in the direction of a fix?

I have tried running the emwin, usb host, even just the hello world xip sdk projects.  They run ok, but will randomly crash and disconnect from the debugger after anywhere from 5 seconds to 30 seconds.  There is no particular place in the code where it crashes.  They will sometimes produce a hard fault breakpoint, but often not.  When debugger is disconnected and dev board reset, the same result happens (as evidenced by the image on the screen freezing (when it should be constantly changing).

If I physically disconnect the LCD from the dev board, everything runs as it should.  The debugger stays connected and the code keeps running!  It seems odd as the LCD is basically a passive device so the output signals are the same whether the LCD is connected or not.

I am using a Kyocera 4.3 LCD which is compatible with the Rocktech LCD sometimes supplied with the dev kit.  It is powered using the DC jack with external supply.

I'm wondering if anyone else has seen these issues and/or can point me in the direction of a fix?

Labels (1)
5 Replies

craigsmith
Contributor III

Hi everyone,

I've identified the issues so want to give everyone an update on how to solve in case someone else has this problem in future.

Issue 1: The SDRAM init.  See Does debug init SDRAM for xip app on MIMXRT1052?  for details.  Basically I was (incorrectly) re-initializing the SDRAM that had already been correctly initialized by the xip code.

Issue 2:  The LPC-Link2 debugger itself.  There appears to be a problem with the LPC-Link2 debugger when debugging code that displays data on the LCD with this evaluation board.  A screen with all black pixels is fine.  I've posted more details here: LPC-Link2 debugger crashes with MIMXRT1052 processor and LCD 

thanks,

Craig

craigsmith
Contributor III

Hi Carlos, thanks for your reply.  

It looks like you didn't attach any files to the last post, would you be able to attach those and I'll try this.

I should also point out that I've actually been powering the board from a benchtop power supply using the DC barrel jack.  I've also connected a LPC-Link2 to the JTAG connector and have been using that as the debugger to try to fix these issues. 

However it crashes even when the board is running in standalone mode, LPC-Link2 disconnected, booting from the external hyperflash.

From the schematics the LCD doesn't seem to share any pins with the debugger.

Craig

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Craig,

It is possible that you may run into issues powering your iMX RT1050 EVKs from the USB port on your computer, and it looks like your problem is related to this. You can work around this issue by connecting external power source or by connecting dual-headed USB cables, however there is a better fix, although the fix requires a hardware change to your board and a software update to the OpenSDA firmware.

Steps to test out fix:

1. First step is to rework your board to use the USB power switch that is part of the OpenSDA circuit. To do this you need to remove R353 and populate R352:

pastedImage_1.png

2. After reworking your board, then you’ll need an update to the OpenSDA firmware. Technically the software change affects the OpenSDA bootloader as well as the DAPlink application, so you’ll need a J-Link cable to reprogram the OpenSDA circuit. The attached archive has the files you’ll need. Instructions are in the readme within the archive.

3.Finally, after applying both the hardware and software changes, test out your board using a standard USB cable instead of the dual-headed cable. Verify that you can debug and run applications.

Besides this you may verify that the pins you are using are not muxed LCD/Flash/Debugger.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Sorry, I missed it. There you go.

davidchen-b3693
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Carlos,

Could you please attach the OpenSDA update file again?

I don't find it on your post.

Thanks.

David 

0 Kudos