cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1050 USB host not enumerating devices reliably

andre_rex
Contributor II

Hi guys,

we are finally finished with imlementing a larger application also providing headless USB drive audio playback functionality on our own PCB. Recently produced devices now surprisingly show an issue of not reliably enumerating a plugged USB flash drive anymore, making USB controller to enter a "locked" state (meaning it does no longer react on any attach/detach attempts until reboot).

Our application runs on FreeRTOS, implementing the SDK-prodvided USB stack (using SDK v2.4.2). The application basically runs in external SDRAM (loading binary from SPI NOR during startup). The RTOS heap is also placed into SDRAM. In the past we've observed erroneous data transfers from/to USB controller which were solved by setting USB_HOST_CONFIG_BUFFER_PROPERTY_CACHEABLE switch in usb_host_config.h, enabling additional code within USB stack to flush appropriate cache lines at certain code locations for interaction with USB controller.

Some devices now do not enumerate a plugged USB device reliably anymore (they only do sporadically). I debugged the "attach" flow within USB stack and figured out that the enumeration gets stuck at the first interaction with the plugged USB device. When plugging the device I see two "PORT_CHANGE" events sent by Interrupt handler and one "DEVICE_ATTACHED" that is sent while handling the PORT_CHANGE events in USB_HostEhciPortChange().

When handling the attached event the USB task function steps into USB_HostAttachDevice() function finally entering USB_HostProcessState(). The enumeration state machine starts at this point with state "kStatus_DEV_GetDes8" requesting some first information from USB device. If the enumeration is working there are lots of TRANSACTION_DONE events stepping through the whole state machine until it finishes. If it does not work I only see the "System Error Interrupt" (SEI) bit set in interrupt status register (USBSTS) followed by cyclic TIMER0 interrupts of the USB controller. Unfortunately there only is a very poor documentation about the individual status bit's meaning (especially this SEI bit) in RT1050 reference manual.

So currently I got stuck in further debugging this issue. For testing purposes I loaded the SDK USB example "host_msd_fatfs_bm" into some devices. Curiously this tiny example worked well. So I don't assume the issue being HW related. But I think the SEI bit might be an interesting trace that is worth to follow. So what makes the USB controller setting this bit?

Regards

André

Labels (1)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi André:

Could you please attach your build info here, or let me know how to reproduce your issue on my side?

Memory region Used Size Region Size %age Used
BOARD_FLASH: 73460 B 64 MB 0.11%
SRAM_DTC: 67692 B 128 KB 51.64%
SRAM_ITC: 0 GB 128 KB 0.00%
SRAM_OC: 0 GB 256 KB 0.00%
BOARD_SDRAM: 0 GB 30 MB 0.00%
NCACHE_REGION: 0 GB 2 MB 0.00%
Finished building target: evkbimxrt1050_host_msd_command_freertos.axf

Regards

Daniel

0 Kudos

andre_rex
Contributor II

Hi Daniel,

here is the result of the msd_host_command example application:

BOARD_FLASH: 71816 B 64 MB 0.11%
SRAM_DTC: 67648 B 128 KB 51.61%
SRAM_ITC: 0 GB 128 KB 0.00%
BOARD_SDRAM: 0 GB 32 MB 0.00%

...and the result of our application:

BOARD_FLASH: 2138416 B 64 MB 3.19%
SRAM_DTC: 71904 B 128 KB 54.86%
SRAM_ITC: 125256 B 128 KB 95.56%
BOARD_SDRAM: 70639660 B 256 MB 26.32%

Reproducing the issue will be quite difficult as it yet only happened on our own PCBs with our application. But meanwhile I got the information from fab that not all devices show the issue (in contrast to my initial information) - so it's currently not sure whether it is an individual case or a series issue.

Regards

André

0 Kudos