Did you mean: 

i.MX RT1050 Custom Board Use OpenSDA Bootloader

Jump to solution
haryanl
Contributor IV

Hi everyone,

i am making custom board based on RT1050-EVK
I also want to use OpenSDA IC MK20DX128VFM5
1.Bootloader already loaded? Or does the user have to download it on the first use?

2.If the user has to download it, how to do it? 
Is it through JTAG connector J34

haryanl_0-1622624350259.png

Looking forward to help

Thanks & BestRegards,

haryanl

Labels (2)
Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @haryanl 

2."If it is your own new K20 chip, yes, you need to use the external debugger to download the bl code to the K20 through the SWD interface, you are right, it is the J34, it is the K20 debugger interface."

-> Can I download Bootloader through LPC-Link2+MCUXpresso? Is there any guide for this?

In case of complexity, I would consider using an external debbuger

Answer: To the K20 bootloader downloading, you even don't need the MCUXPresso, just LPC-LINK2 is enough, LPC-LINK2 firmware with the Segger JLINK firmware, then use the JLINK commander: loaderfile xxx.bin addr, this is OK.

In fact, it is not the complexity issues, it is you don't need the debugger on the board if you design the customer board for the detail RT project, as you know, after the code is downloaded to the RT+QSPI flash, you don't need the debugger anymore for the production. So, you don't need to add debugger for each RT board. Debugger mainly used in the software design phase, you totally can use the external debugger.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
4 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @haryanl 

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

Answer your questions:

1.Bootloader already loaded? Or does the user have to download it on the first use?

Answer: To the NXP MIMXRT1050-EVKB board, the on board MK20DX128VFM5 is firmware with the bootloader.

But if you are using the new MK20DX128VFM5 chip, you need to download the firmware by yourself.

The firmware can be found here:

https://www.nxp.com/design/software/development-software/sensor-toolbox-sensor-development-ecosystem...

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/initialization-boot-device-driver-code-generation/k20dx_bl_crc.bin

2.If the user has to download it, how to do it? 
Is it through JTAG connector J34

Answer: If it is your own new K20 chip, yes, you need to use the external debugger to download the bl code to the K20 through the SWD interface, you are right, it is the J24, it is the K20 debugger interface.

BTW, if you just want to design the customer board, you totally don't need to add the on board debugger, you can use the external debugger, eg, MCU-LINK, LPC-linker 2, Segger JLINK, P&E Multilink, etc.

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know.

Best Regards,

kerry

0 Kudos
haryanl
Contributor IV

Hi Kerry

Thank for your answer

1. I got it

2."If it is your own new K20 chip, yes, you need to use the external debugger to download the bl code to the K20 through the SWD interface, you are right, it is the J34, it is the K20 debugger interface."

-> Can I download Bootloader through LPC-Link2+MCUXpresso? Is there any guide for this?

Thanks & BestRegards,

Haryanl

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @haryanl 

Answer: To the K20 bootloader downloading, you even don't need the MCUXPresso, just LPC-LINK2 is enough, LPC-LINK2 firmware with the Segger JLINK firmware, then use the JLINK commander: loaderfile xxx.bin addr, this is OK.

In fact, it is not the complexity issues, it is you don't need the debugger on the board if you design the customer board for the detail RT project, as you know, after the code is downloaded to the RT+QSPI flash, you don't need the debugger anymore for the production. So, you don't need to add debugger for each RT board. Debugger mainly used in the software design phase, you totally can use the external debugger.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
haryanl
Contributor IV

Hi Kerry

Thank for you support

Yes, i got it

Thanks & Best Regards,

Haryanl

0 Kudos