Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i.MX RT's with CAN-FD (vs. FlexCAN)

Jump to solution
dav1
Contributor V

howdy!

In the selection tables for i.MX RT, some part-nos are listed with CANFD + FlexCAN vs. some just list FlexCAN. A bit confused here since the NXP datasheet for FlexCAN lists CAN-FD as a supported protocol.

Please help explain the difference between a 'hard' can-fd phy vs the flex-can variant.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hey dav1,

all iMXRT devices which support CAN use the FlexCAN-IP.

The FlexCAN-IP supports CAN 2.0. On some devices the FlexCAN is extended to support also CAN-FD. This is the case for one CAN-Interface on the iMXRT106x Family and all on the iMXRT117x-Family.

I think NXP calls the improved FlexCAN interfaces CAN-FD to distinguish between both. If you use only CAN 2.0 both variants of this interface are identical in use.

Best Regards

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
Masmiseim
Senior Contributor I

Hey dav1,

all iMXRT devices which support CAN use the FlexCAN-IP.

The FlexCAN-IP supports CAN 2.0. On some devices the FlexCAN is extended to support also CAN-FD. This is the case for one CAN-Interface on the iMXRT106x Family and all on the iMXRT117x-Family.

I think NXP calls the improved FlexCAN interfaces CAN-FD to distinguish between both. If you use only CAN 2.0 both variants of this interface are identical in use.

Best Regards

0 Kudos
dav1
Contributor V

thanks, I was hoping for CAN-FD being possible on any FlexCAN IP block. 

but you're right, it's limited to i.mxrt106x +

0 Kudos
dav1
Contributor V

thanks, I was hoping for CAN-FD being possible on any FlexCAN IP block. 

but you're right, it's limited to i.mxrt106x >

0 Kudos