cannot be programmed directly through MCUXpresso when the chip is blank (ie brand new from manufactu

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

cannot be programmed directly through MCUXpresso when the chip is blank (ie brand new from manufactu

Jump to solution
harry_liang
Contributor II

when I used a blanknew flash of IS25LP064A, the blank chip needs to be “jumpstarted” with Kiel to ensure it is formatted properly. I do not know why Kiel is able to initialize the chip, and I do not know why MCUXpresso is not able to do so.Connect the NXP board to Kiel µVision and run the "Hello World" application designed to initialize the flash memory. Kiel provides NXP iMX RT1020 examples which work fine.I should first run a hello world application with Keil uVision on the Big Board. Once that is done, I am able to embed the firmware with MCUXpresso. How do I program directly through MCUXpresso?

0 Kudos
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi harry_liang,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

The new chip need to enable the quad mode, this is the non-volatile memory cells, which need to write it at first.

I think your MCUXPresso has download issues, it is due to the program driver in the Mcuxpresso didn't add the QE, that why when you use the MDK download it, then the MCUXPresso can download it again.

Normally, to this situation in the MCUXPresso IDE, you can try these method:

1. run the flexspi_nor_polling_transfer code:

SDK_2.8.2_EVK-MIMXRT1020\boards\evkmimxrt1020\driver_examples\flexspi\nor\polling_transfer

, this code contains the enter quad mode:

/* Enter quad mode. */
status = flexspi_nor_enable_quad_mode(EXAMPLE_FLEXSPI);
if (status != kStatus_Success)
{
return status;
}

You can run this project in the RAM at first, then you should can program the external qspi flash again.

2. You can use the MCUBootUtility tool download the code in the serial download mode at first.

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/archive/v2.3.1.zip
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know!

Best Regards,

Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

View solution in original post

2 Replies
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi harry_liang,

Thank you for your interest in the NXP MIMXRT product, I would like to provide service for you.

The new chip need to enable the quad mode, this is the non-volatile memory cells, which need to write it at first.

I think your MCUXPresso has download issues, it is due to the program driver in the Mcuxpresso didn't add the QE, that why when you use the MDK download it, then the MCUXPresso can download it again.

Normally, to this situation in the MCUXPresso IDE, you can try these method:

1. run the flexspi_nor_polling_transfer code:

SDK_2.8.2_EVK-MIMXRT1020\boards\evkmimxrt1020\driver_examples\flexspi\nor\polling_transfer

, this code contains the enter quad mode:

/* Enter quad mode. */
status = flexspi_nor_enable_quad_mode(EXAMPLE_FLEXSPI);
if (status != kStatus_Success)
{
return status;
}

You can run this project in the RAM at first, then you should can program the external qspi flash again.

2. You can use the MCUBootUtility tool download the code in the serial download mode at first.

https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility/archive/v2.3.1.zip
the related user manual is:
https://github.com/JayHeng/NXP-MCUBootUtility

Wish it helps you!

If you still have questions about it, please kindly let me know!

Best Regards,

Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------

harry_liang
Contributor II

Yes, according to your instruction, it finally works, thanks a lot!

0 Kudos