Windows 10 Pro System process is opening the ISP HID device on my RT685 so BLHOST.EXE cannot open it

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Windows 10 Pro System process is opening the ISP HID device on my RT685 so BLHOST.EXE cannot open it

scott-kooy
Contributor III

We noticed that our firmware upgrade for device that uses RT685 in ISP mode fails to work on a certain PC.  It works on many others.  So after some investigation discovered that the Windows "System" process (PID 4) is opening all devices including the ISP device on its own.  And when "System" has the device opened, BLHOST.EXE cannot open it, so firmware upgrade fails.  

Further investigation reveals that the BLHOST.EXE uses the usblibsio.lib which has hidapi library code.  Note that the latest hidapi library opens devices with following share modes:  FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE.  But the usblibsio.lib opens devices with this share mode:  FILE_SHARE_READ.  Why hasn't usblibsio.lib been updated to the latest hidapi code?  

What happens is the System process opens the device in the FILE_SHARE_READ | FILE_SHARE_WRITE share mode.  And then BLHOST.EXE attempts to open it, but it does not have FILE_SHARE_WRITE  share mode, so it fails.

I would think that more people would be having this problem, but don't see anything on the boards about it.

The PC that is having the problem has following operating system version:

scottkooy_1-1670451280338.png

Any help on this is appreciated.  Thanks.

Labels (1)
Tags (3)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

EdwinHz
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @scott-kooy,

This seems to be a machine specific issue, rather than an RT one.

Have you tried using a different computer or a different OS to use with your RT685? If no, could you do so and share your results?

BR,

Edwin

0 Kudos