What kind of reset is triggered by the POR_B pin?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

What kind of reset is triggered by the POR_B pin?

mastupristi
Senior Contributor I

I'm referring to RT1051.

on the Reference Manual (page 1242/1243):

reset.png

So the Cold reset does not reset all the peripherals, unlike the POR reset.

The name of the POR (PowerOn Reset) reset makes me think that it can only be triggered when the micro is powered. Is that right?

What happens if I assert the POR_B signal (is pulled down) when the power supplies are already on and stable?

On the Datasheet I found (page 16):

cold.png

Does the POR_B signal cause a cold reset or a POR reset?

best regards

Max

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Massimiliano Cialdi,

Please check these information from the reference manual:

pastedImage_14.png

pastedImage_15.png

the POR_B is used to reset the entire chip including test logic and JTAG modules.

Then you can consider the POR_B as the POR reset.

Actually, the MIMXRT1050-EVKB board also use the reset button connect to the POR_b, I have test the code, when debug, if press the reset button, the debugger will be disconnect, so you can consider it as POR.

Wish it helps you!
Have a great day,
Kerry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

mastupristi
Senior Contributor I

Kerry Zhou wrote:

Actually, the MIMXRT1050-EVKB board also use the reset button connect to the POR_b, I have test the code, when debug, if press the reset button, the debugger will be disconnect, so you can consider it as POR.

This is not correct. It looks like you've never seen the EVKB schematics. Have you ever really worked on it or do you speak by hearsay?

On the EVKB the POR_BUTTON is NOT directly connected to POR_B pin:

evkb_por_1.png

the POR_BUTTON it is connected to pin MR of the power supply monitor U5, which in turn removes the enable to the DCDC converter U3. So the DCDC_3V3 is turned off.

evkb_por_2.png

When the DCDC_3V3 is turned off, the U2 power monitor asserts a reset that it is connected directly to the POR_B pin of the microcontroller.

The POR_B pin of the micro is then connected to the JTAG J21 connectors and to the J25 connector.

evkb_por_3.png

So if you tried by pressing the POR_BUTTON SW3 button, you caused a power failure, and then a powerup sequence as described in the reference manual. In this case it can be explained so that the JTAG disconnects. In summary, it is true that pressing POR_BUTTON causes the assertion of the POR_B signal on the micro, but as an indirect consequence of the power supply drop DCDC_3V3.

The case I would like to clarify is to drive low the POR_B pin without turning off the DCDC_3V3 power supply.

I encourage you to try using the signal from the J25 connector (obviously closing the J26 jumper). Does the JTAG disconnect in this case or not?

best regards

Max

0 Kudos

kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Max,

Thanks a lot for your detail reply.

Yes, I have tested the J26_1, and connect it to GND, this is the result:

pastedImage_1.png

You can find the debugger is stopped after the POR_b connect to GND.

If you still have any question about it, please kindly let me know.

Have a great day,
Kerry

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos