Type-C "port manager" support

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Type-C "port manager" support

dav1
Contributor V

Would be great to see Type-C support in the SDK.

I believe a generic TCPM implementation would cover quite a few "CC/PD Phy's" out there.

The connection between the Type-C PortManager (running in FreeRTOS and/or Zephyr) and the TCPC (vendor IC) is defined here: https://www.usb.org/document-library/usb-type-cr-port-controller-interface-specification

This is useful when designing products using USB-C connectors needing additional support like higher current, role-switching "host/device", power source/sink or simply supporting vendor packages over PD (using the CC pins).

The driver should implement support for

• DRP (DFP/UFP), i.e. the type-c terms for "OTG", with low amount of programmability.
  • PD support for source or sink incl. swap + negotiating power-reqs (voltage/current) with PD-compliant power-supplies / computers.
Labels (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

USB Type C PD is supported in the SDK for some RT devices:

pastedImage_9.png

You only have to add it as middleware.

Regards

Jorge Alcala

0 Kudos

dav1
Contributor V

that's great! totally missed out on those.

any docs available on how much resources we need to have free to ensure a reliable operation between the cpu running the port manager? i.e. in case of high load, could there be any timing constraints of concern!?

noted that the stacks are either host (DFP) or device (UFP).

could we see a more dynamic "DRP" stack in the near future that would support dynamic role switching?

0 Kudos