Suggestions for organizing memory on RT1050 with linker template scripts

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Suggestions for organizing memory on RT1050 with linker template scripts

ryanshuttlewort
Contributor IV

Hello I am using MCUXpresso IDE, version v10.1.0 [Build 589] [2017-11-14] with an RT1050 SDK, version  2.3.0 (2017-11-16).  I have been working with some of the demo applications but have found that I quickly run out of SRAM_DTC when making simple additions to demo projects.  Upon examining the linker files I have found this to be due to the default behavior of the linker files which seems to be to place the majority of code and data into SRAM_DTC.

I have reviewed the FreeMarker linker script templates and the examples and have managed to move some code and data to the point where I can get these modified projects to run.  I am, however, wondering if someone could provide examples of moving an entire module or file tree to specific banks or RAM.  The examples provided tend to be file oriented, i.e. placing specific object files into certain RAM banks and this approach would be tedious for an entire tree or module.

Any insight would be appreciated, thanks.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

lpcxpresso_supp
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

There is lots of information on memory configuration and the way that linker scripts are generated by MCUXpresso IDE in the supplied MCUXpresso IDE v10.1 User Guide, Chapter 14, "Memory Configuration and Linker Scripts".

If you have further questions on this, I suggest posting in the MCUXpresso IDE community, which is actively monitored directly by the IDE team.

Regards,

MCUXpresso IDE Support

0 Kudos

ryanshuttlewort
Contributor IV

Thanks for the response.  As I mentioned in the original question, I have read the IDE template documentation but I feel my question goes beyond what was presented there. I was looking for guidance on placing entire file trees into specific areas of memory rather than placing section macros on individual functions or variables which is tedious for large sets of code.

0 Kudos

Carlos_Musich
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Ryan,

relocating the code and data using the linker file will depend on your application's needs. As i.MXRT is a brand new release and MCUXpresso is a relatively new tool we dont have many examples. But you can take a look to the following documents which explain how to relocate code and data in CW and KDS.

Relocating Code and Data Using the KDS GCC Linker File for Kinetis 

Relocating Code and Data Using the CW GCC Linker File for Kinetis 

If you have any specific question on how you want to relocate your application in memory I will be glad to help.

Regards,
Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ryanshuttlewort
Contributor IV

Thanks, I'll have a look.

0 Kudos