cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rebuilding the Azure RTOS Libraries in IAR

Jump to solution
gcary
Contributor III

In my quest to know what is required to rebuild the Azure RTOS library using the IAR tools, I read the following post:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/LPC-Microcontrollers/Azure-ThreadX/m-p/1444008

Microsoft provides the IAR project files needed to build the library.  Why doesn't NXP include them?  NXP is behind the latest Github release so I downloaded the same release from Github to compare against. The only difference I can see is that tx_initialize_low_level.s is being supplied as tx_initialize_low_level.c.  Otherwise every other file is the same.

It should be relatively easy to modify Microsoft's project files to reflect the tx_initialize_low_level.c change and include them in the NXP release.  Is there a reason why this isn't being done?

Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
1 Solution
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @gcary 

The Azure RTOS library could be compiled in IAR. Here is a path for the IAR project file.

boards/evkmimxrt1160/azure_rtos_examples/

├── filex_lib

├── netxduo_lib

├── threadx_lib

└── usbx_lib

danielchen_0-1657023451923.png

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards

Daniel

View solution in original post

7 Replies
gcary
Contributor III

I don't see a reason why there would be a problem if I compiled my own libraries, but I don't like to assume that is the case.  Maybe NXP had some issues with doing that, so they decided to exclude those files?  There could be a good reason the project files are not provided.  Is there any reason I should not compile them myself?

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @gcary :

Let me check this and will reply to you when I have results.

Regards

Danile

0 Kudos
gcary
Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

Thank you very much for helping out with this.  I don't know if this will be helpful or not, but I wanted to let you know how ST Micro implements it in their STM32CubeMX software.  I'm not saying they're doing it right.  I'm only offering it as a comparison.

I created a sample project that only included ThreadX.  The IAR project that it created did not use libraries.  Every RTOS source file was included in the project.  I compiled it, and after it was compiled I modified the top level user source file.  I compiled the project, and the only file that needed recompiling was the one I modified.  I was looking to see how much time the IAR tools took to inspect the status of all the RTOS source files.  It did not take hardly any time at all.

I realize there are pros and cons to using libraries vs. source code files.  But one thing I proved to myself is that recompiling speed doesn't appear to be an issue.

Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @gcary 

The Azure RTOS library could be compiled in IAR. Here is a path for the IAR project file.

boards/evkmimxrt1160/azure_rtos_examples/

├── filex_lib

├── netxduo_lib

├── threadx_lib

└── usbx_lib

danielchen_0-1657023451923.png

Please let me know if you need further information.

Regards

Daniel

gcary
Contributor III

Thank you Daniel!  I never specified which processor I am using.  I am using the RT1062, and unfortunately that EVK does not have the library build files.

I downloaded a variety of different SDKs just now, and the library projects are included in the RT116x and RT117x SDKs.  The RT10xx projects that I downloaded do not have them.

Are their plans to update the SDK builds for the RT10xx to include the library build files for IAR?

Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos
danielchen
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @gcary :

I can see the lib in evkmimxrt1060 SDK.

danielchen_0-1657156672451.png

Regards

Daniel

gcary
Contributor III

Hi Daniel,

I'm sorry, I see they are there.  I just didn't know where to look before. Now I know.  Thank you for showing me.

Regards,

Greg

0 Kudos