RT1064 internal 4MB flash documentation

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1064 internal 4MB flash documentation

lna476
Contributor I

I'm searching the IMXRT1064RM 12/2019 document for information about using the 4MB internal flash.  Other than a mention on the device block diagram on pg 30, I cannot find any information in this document about this internal flash, how it's attached, or how to use it.  The 9.6.1.2 section on page 215 describes a "Serial NOR flash", but does not specify if this is the internal 4MB flash, or an external flash.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
5 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
Let me clarify it, regarding RT1064, it like a composite of RT1060 and a QSPI flash, they're packaged together, so we say that the RT1064 contains an 'internal flash' and the RT1064 must boot from the 'internal QSPI flash'.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

lna476
Contributor I

Where in the datasheet is this information?  On page 261 (9.13) there is a "ROM APIs" section which describes a "FlexSPI NOR Driver API".  Whether this refers to the on-package flash or one which must be connected externally, is ambiguous.  The 4MB flash is classified as "Internal Memory" in the block diagram on page 30.

9.13.2 states:

The ROM bootloader provides a set of Serial NOR FLASH API to simplify the external
FLASH enablement on RT1064 chip.

The naming for the internal flash varies throughout the document.  In "Boot Fusemap" on page 1339 (22.1), the first boot device is "FlexSPI2 (Serial NOR)".  Again, whether or not this refers to the on-package 4MB flash is ambiguous.

Where in the datasheet are the proper mux settings for using the internal 4MB flash with FlexSPI2?

Thanks for your reply.

0 Kudos

carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

There are some info in application note AN12290 (Migration Guide from i.MX RT1060 to i.MX
RT1064), also (if not already done) check the Users Manual for the 1064.

Finally, I studied the SDK samples, lots of good info there about how this is done

0 Kudos

lna476
Contributor I

Thanks.  The application note has some good information. 

Why are these essential details missing from the part's 3400+ page datasheet? 

How is a developer supposed to understand the hardware without reverse engineering the SDK?

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
I‘m sorry for the RM to bring the inconvenience to you.
And I'll report your suggestion to the Document team.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos