RT1050 bootloader to check SD card then boot from XIP?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1050 bootloader to check SD card then boot from XIP?

jackking
Senior Contributor I

All of the boot options I have seen for the rt1050 require using the actual boot_mode pins with a switch or jumper to select the boot source. 

If I am looking for the best way to handle firmware updates in the field, by an end user, is a switch controlling boot_mode the best way to go?

Ideally I was thinking the bootloader would first check for an update file on the SD and then update if needed, otherwise continue booting from XIP without using the boot_mode pins at all.  Similar to the process described here for AVR: SD bootloader

Any ideas appreciated.

Thanks

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

jackking
Senior Contributor I

igor,

Thanks for the reply.  It seems that this recovery flow has the opposite flow, checking first if it can boot from primary boot method, then falling back to SD.

I am looking for a way that end-users can easily upgrade the firmware of a device using a file placed on SD card.  Having to open the device to change boot jumper switches is not viable for end users.  I can dedicate a user switch to be checked during boot and switch modes if this is the only way, but handling it purely in software would be preferable.

thanks

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

>checking first if it can boot from primary boot method, then falling back to SD.

you are right, primary boot is described in sect.8.6 Boot devices i.MXRT105 Reference Manual and
it is SD. Then it falling back to recovery device, which is lpspi, shown in below part of RM.
Note SD is not listed as "recovery" device.

pastedImage_1.jpg

~igor

0 Kudos

igorpadykov
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jack

seems this is possible using lpspi recovery mode described in sect.8.10 Recovery devices

sect.Figure 8-1. Boot flow i.MX RT1050 Reference Manual
https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/reference-manual/IMXRT1050RM.pdf

Best regards
igor
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos