RT1050 - Is SEMC SRAM 8-bit mode supported?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

RT1050 - Is SEMC SRAM 8-bit mode supported?

Jump to solution
dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

We currently have a prototype board with an RT1052 interfaced with a Cyclone FPGA.  We have connected SEMC_DATA00-15 (16-bit address/data muxed), SEMC_DM0 (LB# / BE#), SEMC_ADDR08 (CE#), SEMC_ADDR11 (WE#), SEMC_ADDR12 (OE#), and SEMC_BA1 (ADV#) from the RT1052 over to the Cyclone.  Our intent is to create an 8-bit data bus (D7-D0) with a 64 KB address space (A15-A0), similar to a previous implementation using a Kinetis K20 and a Cyclone; in the case of the Kinetis, the bus was not multiplexed.

I have selected all the appropriate GPIO mux settings in the Config Tool.  I have created the appropriate mapping in the MPU:

/* Region 11 setting: Memory with Device type, not shareable, non-cacheable */
    MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(11, 0xA8000000);
    MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 2, 0, 0, 0, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_64KB);

And I have added the appropriate initialization code (with deeply relaxed timings for testing):

void Board::InitFpgaBus(void) {
  semc_config_t semc_config;
  semc_sram_config_t sram_config;
  uint32_t src_clock_hz = CLOCK_GetFreq(kCLOCK_SemcClk);
  memset(&semc_config, 0, sizeof(semc_config));
  memset(&sram_config, 0, sizeof(sram_config));
  /* Initialize SEMC. */
  SEMC_GetDefaultConfig(&semc_config);
  semc_config.dqsMode = kSEMC_Loopbackdqspad; /* For more accurate timing. */
  SEMC_Init(SEMC, &semc_config);
  /* Configure SRAM. */
  sram_config.cePinMux = kSEMC_MUXA8;                   // CS* on SEMC_A8
  sram_config.addr27 = kSEMC_MORA27_NONE;               // A27 unused
  sram_config.address = FpgaMem::kBaseAddress;          // 0xA8000000
  sram_config.memsize_kbytes = FpgaMem::kLength;        // 64 KB
  sram_config.addrPortWidth = 16;                       // A0 - A15 in use
  sram_config.advActivePolarity = kSEMC_AdvActiveHigh;  // ALE = active high
  sram_config.addrMode = kSEMC_AddrDataMux;             // A/D multiplexed
  sram_config.burstLen = kSEMC_Nor_BurstLen1;           // No burst transfers
  sram_config.portSize = kSEMC_PortSize8Bit;            // 8-bit data bus
  sram_config.tCeSetup_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tCeHold_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tCeInterval_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tAddrSetup_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tAddrHold_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tWeLow_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tWeHigh_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tReLow_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tReHigh_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tTurnAround_Ns = 100u;
  sram_config.tAddr2WriteHold_Ns = 100u;
  auto result = SEMC_ConfigureSRAMWithChipSelection(SEMC, kSEMC_SRAM_CS0,
                                                    &sram_config, src_clock_hz);
  assert (kStatus_Success == result);
}

The issue is that when we try to do a read (or write) from address 0, or address 0x2400, or any other, the upper 8 bits stay high:

Two 8-bit bus accesses to consecutive addressesTwo 8-bit bus accesses to consecutive addresses

This image shows two 8-bit bus accesses to consecutive addresses (i.e. a 16-bit read).  If I put a scope on one of the upper address lines (say, A13), the line does not toggle at all; it stays 1 continuously.  However, if I instead set the port size to 16 bits, we do see A13 toggle, indicating that the RT1050 is driving the bus line.  Problem is, we don't want a 16-bit data bus (port size), we want an 8-bit data bus.

Here's my basic question -- does the RT1050 support a (multiplexed) 8-bit data bus with a 16-bit address bus?  It seems that the RT1050 doesn't drive the high address byte (A8-A15) to SEMC_DATA08-15 even when those pins are selected in the GPIO mux.  Does setting the port size to 8-bit also restrict us to an 8-bit address bus?

One thing that I was nervous about... On page 1409, the reference manual says "NOR Flash and SRAM interface -- Supports both 8-bit and 16-bit modes", yet on page 1415, it states “Supports 16 bit mode” for both NOR Flash and SRAM modes, while stating “Supports 8/16 bit modes” for NAND and 8080 display interface modes.  So now I'm unsure as to whether a proper 8-bit mode is even supported.

Can you provide any clarification on this?  Thanks.

David R.

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dmarks_ls ,

It seems there is some problem with the SEMC module.  When using SEMC as 8-bit data port PSRAM mode, the address line could only up to 17, means only access Max. 128KB memory size.
In 16-bit data port PSRAM mode, SEMC address line could up to 24 to access Max. 64MB memory size.
It is not recommend customer to use 8-bit data port SRAM memory device.
If customer still wants to connect with external 8-bit data port SRAM device, the suggested connection way is:
SEMC_DA[0:7] using address latch chip connects with SRAM A[0:7];
SEMC_ADDR[0:8] connects with SRAM A[8:16];
SEMC_DA[0:7] connects with SRAM D[0:7]

Regards,
Jing

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
mgarrison
Contributor II

Just came here to say I'm extremely glad to have found this post when starting to implement our 8-bit SEMC SRAM design. It would have been an enormous struggle figuring out why the address pins didn't line up in 8-bit mode. Thankfully for me, I only needed 17 address pins, so that issue was not a problem for us.

However, it is quite unacceptable that the documentation does not describe these issues. It is only by chance that I found this post, created just one month prior to our design of the same type!

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dmarks_ls ,

It seems there is some problem with the SEMC module.  When using SEMC as 8-bit data port PSRAM mode, the address line could only up to 17, means only access Max. 128KB memory size.
In 16-bit data port PSRAM mode, SEMC address line could up to 24 to access Max. 64MB memory size.
It is not recommend customer to use 8-bit data port SRAM memory device.
If customer still wants to connect with external 8-bit data port SRAM device, the suggested connection way is:
SEMC_DA[0:7] using address latch chip connects with SRAM A[0:7];
SEMC_ADDR[0:8] connects with SRAM A[8:16];
SEMC_DA[0:7] connects with SRAM D[0:7]

Regards,
Jing
0 Kudos
dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Hi Jing,

If I'm understanding your reply correctly, you're stating that if I set the port size to 8-bit (SRAMCR0.PS == 0), then I need to use SEMC_ADDR[7:0] instead of SEMC_DATA[15:8] for the high-order address bus bits.  I guess my question now is, why is this not documented in the Reference Manual?  Table 25-6 "SEMC Pin Mux Overview" provides no indication of this arrangement.  If we had known about this arrangement, we could have designed our first prototype board correctly.  Thanks.

David R.

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @dmarks_ls ,

Yes, this is not documented in the RM. I'm sorry for that. I've reported this issue to product team.

Regards,

Jing

dmarks_ls
Senior Contributor I

Thank you for confirming the issue.

David R.

0 Kudos