Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Query related to Power consumption is DMA

Jump to solution
suhel_mulla
Contributor III

Hello,

We are using NXP i.MX RT 1052 controller.

We already know that DMA is used for parallel processing and to improve overall processor performance.

But, we are trying to understand whether DMA can be used to minimize current consumption or not.

My question is as below -

Consider the below 2 cases,

1. SPI DMA is used to transfer SPI data between memory and SPI transfer registers, CPU(Cortex M7 core) is in sleep mode.
  2. Normal SPI is used (SPI DMA is not enabled) to transfer the same amount of data between memory and SPI transfer registers using CPU.

For these 2 cases, in which case, the current consumption will be more?

Also, please provide if any analytical document is available for this.

Labels (1)
Tags (5)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) My question is as below -
SPI DMA is used to transfer SPI data between memory and SPI transfer registers, CPU(Cortex M7 core) is in sleep mode.
Normal SPI is used (SPI DMA is not enabled) to transfer the same amount of data between memory and SPI transfer registers using the CPU.
-- Case 2 will cost more power consumption.
And there's an article that explains the DMA's advantage and hopes it can help you.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
suhel_mulla
Contributor III

Thanks for the answer and sharing the article. It will solve my query.

0 Kudos
suhel_mulla
Contributor III

Thanks for the answer.

Can you share link of the article which explains it?

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) My question is as below -
SPI DMA is used to transfer SPI data between memory and SPI transfer registers, CPU(Cortex M7 core) is in sleep mode.
Normal SPI is used (SPI DMA is not enabled) to transfer the same amount of data between memory and SPI transfer registers using the CPU.
-- Case 2 will cost more power consumption.
And there's an article that explains the DMA's advantage and hopes it can help you.

Hope it helps.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos