cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Programming Flash and Fuses with LPC Link 2

rshipman
Contributor V

Hi,

I can use elftosb and MfgTool to write to flash etc on the RT1020-EVK eval board. This requires a usb connection (actually both the Debug and OTG USB ports need to be connected) for MfgTool to work.

The actual target board, as planned, will not have a USB port. Manufacturing will be required to use a LPC-Link2 debug connection (using the OM13054 LPC-Link2 board) to program the board prior to shipping. They won't be using MCUXpresso IDE etc, so we need a utility like MfgTool to do this. (FYI, I have used the OM13054 LPC-Link2 board with MCUXpresso on the eval board successfully.)

The image will be encrypted and so fuses will need to be burnt.

So my questions are:

1. Can the MfgTool be configured to work with the LPC-Link2 connection to download the image to flash and burn fuses?

2. If not how can we program flash and fuses using LPC-Link2 without MCUXpresso? We want a very simple utility like MfgTool.

3. Do we still need to use elftosb etc to create the encrypted/signed/bootable images when downloading via LPC-Link2 and whatever utility we end up using?

4. Is there a simple standalone tool buried somewhere in the MCUXpresso package that I could use?

Many thanks for all your help!

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) Can the MfgTool be configured to work with the LPC-Link2 connection to download the image to flash and burn fuses?
-- No.
2) If not how can we program flash and fuses using LPC-Link2 without MCUXpresso? We want a very simple utility like MfgTool.
-- To program fuse, it needs to utilize the Serial Mode, in other word, the board should keep the UART or USB interface for this implementation, and there's no similar tool to program the flash and fuses without through Serial mode.
3) Do we still need to use elftosb etc to create the encrypted/signed/bootable images when downloading via LPC-Link2 and whatever utility we end up using?
-- Yes.
3) Is there a simple standalone tool buried somewhere in the MCUXpresso package that I could use?
-- No.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

rshipman
Contributor V

Thanks for the answers.

2) If not how can we program flash and fuses using LPC-Link2 without MCUXpresso? We want a very simple utility like MfgTool.
-- To program fuse, it needs to utilize the Serial Mode, in other word, the board should keep the UART or USB interface for this implementation, and there's no similar tool to program the flash and fuses without through Serial mode.

I'm not sure I fully understand the answer to number 2:

1. So are you saying that the only way to program fuses is via the UART or USB port? So the LPC-Link2 or whatever debug probe you are using cannot do this?

2. In other words MCUXpresso cannot program the fuses either?

3. Could a redlink script do this?

4. I imagine I could download a program that programs the fuses as required and then download the secure image? I was hoping the flashloader could do this for me.

5. Is there a way to configure MfgTool to use a com port (connected to UART) instead of USB?

6. For the eval board, is the only way to access the UART via the Arduino expansion port? Or is there a way via the Debug USB? Because when I connect the debug USB (e.g for MCUXpresso) the PC sees it as a com port (as well as a USB Drive), and I can get printf output from it.

7. Am I fighting the grain here? Should we always use a UART (or even a USB) connection for manufacturing?

8. Can the debugger probe get access to the UART?

Thanks for all your help. It is appreciated!

0 Kudos

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi ,

Thanks for your reply.
1) In other words, MCUXpresso cannot program the fuses either?
-- Yes.
2) Is there a way to configure MfgTool to use a com port (connected to UART) instead of USB?
-- Essentially, MfgTool is the tool that consists of the GUI and Blhost tool and it only supports the USB port. However, the Blhost can both support the UART and USB ports, please give a try.
3) For the eval board, is the only way to access the UART via the Arduino expansion port? Or is there a way via the Debug USB? Because when I connect the debug USB (e.g for MCUXpresso) the PC sees it as a com port (as well as a USB Drive), and I can get printf output from it.
-- The on-board debugger: OpenSDA has integrated the serial terminal feature, it's available to use it to print output message.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos

rshipman
Contributor V

Thanks for your answers.

FYI:

In the document 'i.MX RT1020 Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 1, 12/2018', in section '6.7 OCOTP_CTRL', page 170/171, I found the following:

"

The OCOTP_CTRL provides:

• Ability to write (program) the fuses by software or JTAG

"

So it looks like we can program the fuses via JTAG, not just via UART/USB.

I guess MCUXpresso just hasn't included that support yet.

0 Kudos