cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problems to use MfgTool with IMXRT1050-EVBK

Jump to solution
abertu
Contributor II

I have problems with the software MfgTool when I try to flash the IMXRT1050-EVBK.

I want store the example "emWin".

If I open it as it is, after downloading it from the NXP site, the software doesn't detect the dev-board (see image SW_Original.jpg)
If I open it, after change the VID and the PID of the file ucl2.xml (the same of the driver mbed), the dev-board is detected, but the programming procedure doesn't work (see image SW_Modified.jpg)
The error is:
"Boot" body = "BootStrap" error, file = "C:\Flashloader_RT1050_1.0\Tools\mfgtools-rel_emwin\Profiles\MXRT105X\OS Firmware\ivt_flashloader.bin"
I have attached also the LOG generated by MfgTool.

Thanks in advance,
Angelo

Tags (2)
1 Solution
2winkle
Contributor III

Hi Angelo,

I tried to program using the method you mentioned and the device was not detected. I think the problem is that you are connecting J28 also. So, could you please try out this configuration...

• SW7: 1-off,2-on,3-off,4-on (Hyperflash in Serial Downloader mode)
  • USB cable is connected to J9 only.
  • In J1, the header is placed on 3,4 (power for the board is supplied via USB at J9) or 1,2 (if power is supplied via J2).
  • Also, change the vid and pid back to what it was initially i.e. use an the unchanged version of ucl2.xml. I'm not sure if mbed driver has got anything to do with mfgtool. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

View solution in original post

7 Replies
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can also try this tool, with this tool, You can flash bare image into various boot devices easily and don't need to care about headers (ivt, boot data...)

GitHub - JayHeng/nxp-sec-boot-ui: A one-stop GUI tool to work with NXP MCU (Kinetis, i.MXRT, LPC) RO... 

0 Kudos
CarlosCasillas
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Angelo,

Have you also ensured that the board has enough power (in case of powering it through USB); otherwise, you could try with an external power supply on J2.

Additionally, have you ensured you are using the correct MFGTool? The one for i.MX RT detects the i.MX RT1050 EVB board without modifications. It could be downloaded from the following link:

https://www.nxp.com/downloads/en/initialization-boot-device-driver-code-generation/Flashloader_i.MXR...

Hope this will be useful for you.

Best regards!

/Carlos

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos
2winkle
Contributor III

Hi Angelo Bertuletti,

I assume you are trying to program the hyperflash. If you are trying to program QSPI flash, you will have to refer this document first https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN12108.pdf

Now, before flashing, make sure that the device is in serial downloader mode. This is done using the DIP switch SW7.

If you are booting from QSPI flash, then SW7: 1-off,2-off,3-off,4-on.

If you are booting from hyperflash, then SW7: 1-off,2-on,3-off,4-on.

Also, since you are using mfgtool, the usb should be connected to J9 (usb otg).

Also, set the cfg.ini to 

[profiles]
chip = MXRT105X

[platform]
board =

[LIST]
name = MXRT105X-DevBoot‍‍‍‍‍‍‍‍
0 Kudos
abertu
Contributor II

Dear Twinkle,

I apologize if my question was not complete.

I confirm that:
- I want program the hyperflash
- I have configured correctly SW7: 1-off,2-on,3-off,4-on
- I have connected one USB cable to J28 and a second USB cable to J9 (first J9, then J28)
- The file cfg.ini is the same of yours

In these conditions I have the issue that I have reported in my previous question.

I have seen that the USB connected to J9 is not recognized by Win7 (it is an unknow device). I don't use the software MCU Expresso, but only IAR. I have compiled the software and I have added the IVT using the tool "elftosb".

Best regards,
Angelo

0 Kudos
abertu
Contributor II

Dear Carlos,

The software is correct, I have download it from your link. Also the power supply is ok.
As I have answered to Twinkle, I think that the problem is on the USB connected to J9 that is not recognised by Win7.

Best regards,
Angelo

0 Kudos
2winkle
Contributor III

Hi Angelo,

I tried to program using the method you mentioned and the device was not detected. I think the problem is that you are connecting J28 also. So, could you please try out this configuration...

• SW7: 1-off,2-on,3-off,4-on (Hyperflash in Serial Downloader mode)
  • USB cable is connected to J9 only.
  • In J1, the header is placed on 3,4 (power for the board is supplied via USB at J9) or 1,2 (if power is supplied via J2).
  • Also, change the vid and pid back to what it was initially i.e. use an the unchanged version of ucl2.xml. I'm not sure if mbed driver has got anything to do with mfgtool. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
abertu
Contributor II

Dear Twinkle,
thank you very much, now mfgtool works!

This is the correct procedure:
- Use the unchanged version of ucl2.xml
- SW7: 1-off,2-on,3-off,4-on (Hyperflash in Serial Downloader mode)
- In J1, the header is placed on 3,4 (power for the board is supplied via USB at J9)
- USB cable is connected to J28
- USB cable is connected to J9

If I connect only J9, nothing happen.
If I connect J9 and then J28, I see a "MAINTENANCE" archive of 64MB, but mfgtools doesn't recognize the dev-board.
If I connect J28 and then J9, I see the archive of 8MB, Win7 has installed a new periferal and mfgtools works (respect my initial tests I have moved only the jumper J1 and I have use the unchanged version of ucl2.xml)

In any case now everithing is OK.
Thanks again!!!
Best regards,
Angelo