cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem on using the I.MX RT1020 SDRAM

Jump to solution
Contributor I

Hi all:

We got one problem that our EVK board can not execute from SDRAM.

Chip: I.MX RT1020

SDK:  SDK_2.5.0_EVK-MIMXRT1020

example_1(SRAM)evkmimxrt1020_freertos_hello
example_2(SDRAM):evkmimxrt1020_hello_world
All the example used above are the SDK demo examples.
example_1 memory configure:
pastedImage_4.png
This example can work well in our EVK board and the MIMXRT1020-EVK too.
example_2 memory configure:
pastedImage_5.png
This example still can work well in the MIMXRT1020-EVK ,but goes wrong in our EVK board,and the error show as below picture:
pastedImage_1.png
What should we try to fixed this problem? Or is there something goes wrong with our EVK board?

By the way,I want to know one question that can we use the MIMXRT1020-EVK SWD port to debug another board.
just for the normal programming and debugging.
Try as below figure:

pastedImage_2.png

Thanks & Best regards!
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Software nick,

Thanks for your reply.
I've replicated the phenomenon on my site, in further, after contact with the AE team, it's related to QSPI Flash Interface, for QSPI Flash as XIP function, to achieve the highest performance it is recommended to left FLEXSPI_A_DQS(GPIO_SD_B1_05)pin floating and config-sample clock source as 01-loopback from DQS pad mode to achieve max 133MHz Flexspi_clk.
During the reset, the boot ROM will configure the GPIO_SD_B1_05 as the FLEXSPI_A_DQS, meanwhile, the RECLKSRC will be configured as 01b too.

pastedImage_1.png
When chip startup from BOOT ROM then jump to flash, reconfiguring the GPIO_SD_B1_05 will make the code running become unpredictable, it's the cause of the issue.

Hope this is clear.

Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

11 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Software nick ,

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) Before answering your first question, I'd like you can answer my inquiries at first.
    Whether you do some other modifications about the two testing example. Is the SDRAM hardware connection same on your EVK board as same as the MIMXRT1020 board? I'll appreciate if you can share your EVK board's schematic about SDRAM hardware connection.
2) By the way,I want to know one question that can we use the MIMXRT1020-EVK SWD port to debug another board.
just for the normal programming and debugging.
-- Yes, it's Ok, however, it's only available to debug the i. MX RT1020.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
Contributor I

Hi jeremyzhou:

Thank you for your reply,for the question 1,we have found the issue, it's cause by one GPIO pin DIN1_8(GPIO_SD_B1_05):

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_3.png

As the picture show above,we set that DIN1_8(GPIO_SD_B1_05) as DIO, the problem seen to be cause by the  capacitance(C169),when we remove it ,our EVK board can work effectively.

we use the same function to the other GPIO,but only GPIO_SD_B1_05 cause that problem,so we doubt that whether the GPIO_SD_B1_05 as one special PIN or not. And then,we try to control it, configure it as output pin,then pull up or down,but it failed.It seen that we can't control that pin.

Is there anyway can sovle this problem?And what is the default status GPIO show when reset device?

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Software nick ,

Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, GPIO_SD_B1_05 is not very special verses to other pins, the default status of the pin is determined by the SW_PAD_CTL_PAD_GPIO_SD_B1_05 SW PAD Control Register, please check this information in the RM.
Secondly, I was a bit confused with the phenomenon that the issue will disappear after removing the C169, as the GPIO_SD_B1_05 is nothing with the evkmimxrt1020_hello_world demo.
I was wondering if you can introduce the role of GPIO_SD_B1_05 in your board, it can help me to figure the phenomenon out.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
Contributor I

Hi jeremyzhou:

Glad to receive your reply and thanks for the kind help.

We use that PIN just been a normal GPIO which as one input PIN that can check the external signal.

I guess the picture below will do some help.

pastedImage_1.png

We suspect that it was caused by GPIO_SD_B1_05 special using, but nothing deal with that PIN in  evkmimxrt1020_hello_world demo,and then we try to control it as the output GPIO with example evkmimxrt1020_iled_blinky,but another problem comes.(this example testing was did in MIMXRT1020-EVK, that GPIO connect to the 'Combo Sensor'<DNP> on MIMXRT1020-EVK).

the source code show as below:

Pin initial:

pastedImage_3.png

void main:

pastedImage_4.png

when I try the debug butto and start running, the error show as below picture:

pastedImage_5.png

I was wondering whether the PIN configure right,if not,could you show me the right way?

Thanks & Best regards!

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Software nick

Thanks for your reply.
Does the error (Fig 1) you mentioned above happen when debugging the MIMXRT102? Or debugging your customized board?
If the error happens when debugging the MIMXRT1020 board, I'd like to do some testing to replicate the error.
Looking forward to your reply.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
Contributor I

Hi Jeremy:

the error (Fig 1) above  happen was debugged the MIMXRT1020-EVK board.You can try some testing to replicate it.

Thanks & Best regards!

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Software nick,

Thanks for your reply.
I've replicated the phenomenon on my site, in further, after contact with the AE team, it's related to QSPI Flash Interface, for QSPI Flash as XIP function, to achieve the highest performance it is recommended to left FLEXSPI_A_DQS(GPIO_SD_B1_05)pin floating and config-sample clock source as 01-loopback from DQS pad mode to achieve max 133MHz Flexspi_clk.
During the reset, the boot ROM will configure the GPIO_SD_B1_05 as the FLEXSPI_A_DQS, meanwhile, the RECLKSRC will be configured as 01b too.

pastedImage_1.png
When chip startup from BOOT ROM then jump to flash, reconfiguring the GPIO_SD_B1_05 will make the code running become unpredictable, it's the cause of the issue.

Hope this is clear.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) If we use QSPI Flash for boot purposes we must let pin GPIO_SD_B1_05 as floating and could not use it anymore?
-- If you want to implement XIP mode that runs the code in the QSPI flash, the GPIO_SD_B1_05 should keep floating, however, boot from the QSPI, then run the code in the RAM, you can use this pin for other functions.
Hope this is clear.

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
adrian0ram0s
Contributor I

Hello, @jeremyzhou,

reinforcing what @wensanchou asked, if we use QSPI Flash for boot purpose we must let pin GPIO_SD_B1_05 as floating and could not use it anymore?

0 Kudos
wensanchou
Contributor I

Hi jeremyzhou

We met similar issues. While I config GPIO_SD_B1_05 as input pin/pull high, and after reboot, code in qspi flash worked as not expected.

Does it mean we have to let pin GPIO_SD_B1_05 as floating and could not use it any more?

Thanks in advanced.

WenSan

0 Kudos
Contributor I

Hi Jeremy:

Thanks a lot for your kindly help!

Thanks & Best regards!

0 Kudos