cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Problem connecting camera module on i.MX RT1170 EVK

Jump to solution
scott_apl
Contributor II

We are attempting to test out the new i.MX RT1170 EVK board with the MIPI CSI camera module but have run into a problem connecting it to the board.

There's a small white dot near the mezzanine connector on the bottom of the included OV5640 camera module board. I assume this indicates pin 1 of the connector but when I try to connect it to the EVK board, there's a ground test-point (TP1) that physically interferes with it and doesn't allow it to line up or connect. If I flip the camera module board around, it almost fits but the back corner still hits the ground test-point and prevents it from connecting.

Are we missing something or does the MIMXRT1170-EVK board actually need to be modified (desolder the test-point) in order to work with the camera module?

Also, are we correct in assuming that the dot on the camera module indicates pin one for the connector, such that the camera module would hang over the edge when connected to the eval board? We couldn't find any direct mention of this in the Hardware User’s Guide or any pictures anywhere with the camera module connected. We also haven't been able to find a schematic or layout details for the camera module itself in order to confirm the orientation that way.

I understand this is a new product and there are bound to be some wrinkles as it's rolled out. As far as I can tell, no-one else has asked about this here, so it's possible we're just missing something. Either way, we would appreciate any clarification you can offer about this.

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Mine is mounted like this and works:

carstengroen_0-1616831679336.png

View solution in original post

6 Replies
scott_apl
Contributor II

Thank you for the picture and for confirming that yours works this way!

I wonder if the test-point on mine was just soldered off-center in the hole then, since yours appears to fit there without interference (but just barely).

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi scott_apl,

I also checked my boards, about 3 board, all it works ok, and test point didn't interference the camera module.

So, your board test point may have solder issues, you can solder it again, and move it far from the camera.

BTW, if the board is really not god, you also can return it and change one new, the process need to go this link:

http://www.nxp.com/support/sales-and-support/buy-direct/returns-and-warranty-information/dev-tool-wa...

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

kerry 

0 Kudos
scott_apl
Contributor II

Thank you both for checking your other boards.  At least the problem doesn't appear to be widespread.  Still, this would be a good thing to add to the quality control check-list for these boards.

I went ahead an desoldered this ground testpoint since it wasn't one I really needed anyway.  The camera module now fits as intended.  I'm still working on the software and haven't gotten any pictures out of it yet, since I don't have the LCD add-on for the example code.  Hopefully things work smoothly from here on out though.

Thank you for the warranty claim link.  It's helpful to know that's an option in case I run into any less easily fixable defects.

Thanks,
-Scott

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi scott_apl,

You are welcome.

Can you also share one photo about your board soldering?

If the test point module solder didn't outside the white cycle, it should not influence the camera, but if it is already out side the white cycle, it has issues.

You also need to apply one LCD to test it, as the SDK module will get the camera data and send it to the LCD to display.

Wish it helps you!

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos
carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Scott,

could well be!

I just checked my second 1170 EVK, that one looks pretty much the same as my first one, the camera PCB sits maybe a tad closer to the testpoint, it just so ever slightly touches the plastics of the testpoint. I could well imagine that if the testpoint is soldered/mounted a little off-center, you might end up having trouble attaching the camera PCB to the socket.

Maybe something NXP should take into consideration when producing the boards.

0 Kudos
carstengroen
Senior Contributor II

Mine is mounted like this and works:

carstengroen_0-1616831679336.png