cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

PWM Channels on i.MX RT Series

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi,

How many PWM channels on i.MX RT series(ex. RT1050/1060)?

Can I do the same as on KV58 MCU(two flexPWM modules)?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos
3 Replies

_Leo_
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

Thank you so much for your interest in our products and for using our community.

Regarding your questions:

How many PWM channels on i.MX RT series(ex. RT1050/1060)?

RT1050/1060 has 4 eFlexPWM modules, each module has 4 submodules and each submodule has PWMA and PWMB channels. That gives us a total of 32 PWM signals.

If you require more, the reference manual states "PWM_X pin can optionally output a third PWM signal from each submodule", but on the RTs there is also a note mentioning "PWM_X only applicable to FlexPWM1, while other FlexPWM instances do not have the PWMX outputs or inputs", which gives you 4 PWM signals more.

Can I do the same as on KV58 MCU(two flexPWM modules)?

Yes, but be aware of the notes in the "55.1 Chip-specific FlexPWM information" section of the reference manual.

Finally, from previous cases I see that your application is to control 2 BLDC and 1 DC motors.
You may find the reference design QUAD-MOTOR-CONTROL-DEV-PLATFORM useful.

Hope it helps you.

Have a nice day!

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi nxf86756,

Thank you very much for your information.

I checked the RT1050/1060 manual and there is 1 FlexPWM to drive 8 individual PWM channels. I didn't find more FlexPWM modules in RT series. I am using KV58 that has two FlexPWM modules, so I can drive 2 BLDCs+1 DC(16 PWM channels) and works fine. 

I was told RT series is more popular MCU for now and I need to use RT series' MCU for new design.

Could you help me to identify which MCU can drive 16 PWM channes in RT series?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos

a8Chcx
Contributor V

Hi nxf86756,

I checked the design document and looks like RT1050/1060/1064 have 4 FlexPWMs and each one has 4 sub-modules. There are lots of PWM channels(>32). It will be fine to me.

I am using MK66 for our central controller(Require 32M SDRAM, 32M parallel Flash) and KV58 for motor controller. Both are working fine for now. Because these two series are not updated and i.MX RT series are more popular from NXP, I am trying to move to i.MX RT series.

Could you help me to select one for to start testing? Should I use RT1050/1060/1064? Which one do you recommend? If I use BGA196 with 0.8mm pitch, they are all pin-to-pin compatible? And it will work without doing new hardware design? Which one is easy to order?

Thanks,

Christie

0 Kudos