cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

OpenOCD with iMXRT1050 / imxRT1064

pascalenz
Contributor I

Hi all,

I'm trying to setup the imxRT1050/imxRT1064 for usage by OpenOCD.

I just got the basics to display the dap and read Processor Registers. Works well.

Is there somewhere a configuration file for the imxrt1050 and/or imxrt1064.

Maybe also a Board File for the DevBoards?

To write to Hyperflash or QSPI Flash, I have to write a flash plugin, thats clear so far.

Are there any bank definitions for the 1064? Like this one for Kinetis:

flash bank pflash.0 kinetis 0x00000000 0x40000 0 4 $_TARGETNAME

How can I add the configuration for internal Flash on the rt1064?

And how's the command line to flash a small programm.

Thanks in advance

Pascal

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

h_moessinger
Contributor I

If someone finds this, such as me, while searching for OpenOCD support for the IMX.RT and especially the MIMXRT1064-EVK Board, here is a working target configuration for OpenOCD openocd/imxrt.cfg at master · sysprogs/openocd · GitHub, which unfortunately has not yet made it into the main OpenOCD at openocd/tcl/target at master · openocd-org/openocd · GitHub.

For reference: Using the following commands, with an arm-elf-none-eabi-gcc 12.2 on Debian Linux bookworm, I was able to build, load and debug the "Hello World" example on the MIMXRT1064 board.

mimxrt1064/sdk_2.12.1/boards/evkmimxrt1064/demo_apps/hello_world/armgcc$ ARMGCC_DIR=/usr ./build_debug.sh

openocd -c "bindto 0.0.0.0" -f ..\share\openocd\scripts\interface\cmsis-dap.cfg -f ..\share\openocd\scripts\target\imxrt.cfg
gdb-multiarch hello_world.elf
target extended-remote <ipaddress>:3333
monitor reset
monitor halt
load
break main
tui enable
run

In reference to xkcd: Wisdom of the Ancients, I hope this helps someone out there.

mschuckmann
Contributor I

I am also trying to OpenOCD with my MIMXRT1060 board design and a MCU-Link debug/programmer board. 

@FelipeGarcia I read the section you reference in the Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK PDF however it only references using JLink which does not support the MCU-Link board. Since the MCU-Link board is recommended for use with the MIMXRT1060 processor what is the recommend procedure for command line debugging and programming? 

0 Kudos

mark51
Contributor I

Great Article, it was very informative. That was such thought-provoking content. I enjoyed reading your content. Every week, I look forward to your column. In my opinion, this one is one of the best articles you have written so far.
login.wirecard.com
Staples Timings
Taco Bell Hours
Taco Bell survey
Jacklistens

0 Kudos

oncusugu
Contributor I
0 Kudos

fbeaulier
Contributor I

Hello Pascal,

I have the exact same problem. 

I would like to flash my MIMXRT1060-EVK board using openocd or pyOCD.

Have you succeeded ? Could you help me in any way ?

Thank you

François

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Pascal,

When you download the SDK for the MIMXRT1064-EVK, in the docs folder you will find a pdf named "Getting Started with MCUXpresso SDK for EVK-MIMXRT1064". Section 5 of this document explains how to run an SDK example using ARM GCC. This is the command line we recommend using to build, run, and debug demo applications and driver libraries provided in the MCUXpresso SDK.

Best regards,

Felipe

0 Kudos