Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIPI-CSI grayscale errata on RT1170

JRIIS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi RT1170 product expert,

Culvertengineering found a reference to a silicon bug in MIPI-CSI grayscale in the NXP support site, and they would like to get confirmation that this bug has been fixed, and on what silicon version it was fixed. Please see:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/RT1170-Using-MIPI-CSI-with-grayscale-or-raw-image-sensors/m-p/1...

I have checked and cannot find a reference to it in the V1.3 errata or user manual.

Could you confirm this is the latest errata, please?

From a Future Electronics training we used below Table 2 as part of the training material on the CSI and DSI interfaces of the RT1170.

This Table 2 mention an errata that was removed, but it doesn’t have any details on what that errata was:

JRIIS_0-1642159302502.png

I have been looking in to the latest official errata from our web (Rev 1.3 Errata) for the RT1170, but doesn’t say anything about MIPI issues and dont have the history and silicon mask version with timing as requested. 

The rev 1.0 document seems to be unavailable so I don’t know if this many have been related to the issue that was mentioned in the community post that Culvertengineering found.

Can you help get the rev 1.0 and rev 1.1 Errata for the RT1170?

We need to be able to inform that this bug is fixed and what version of silicon it is fixed in.

Could I kindly ask you to provide this information please?

Thanks,

/Jakob

P.S. This needs immediate attention and it halts Culvertengineering development until they have a clear path to proceed.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

vladimirchernin
Contributor III

hi!

we need raw14 support at rt1176 any news or updates?

workarounds ? new chip rev fixes it?

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jakob,

We do support RAW formats over the parallel CSI interface. So the RAW mentions in section 44.1.1. above are correct. The limitation is only on the MIPI-CSI. We've removed all the "RAW" mentions within the MIPI-CSI chapter, but we should probably remove/rewrite the "Support for all CSI-2 data types" in the feature list. We should also double check on the MIPI D-PHY v.1.1 spec statement. Being compliant to the spec might not necessarily require support for all data types, but we should make sure of that.

I'll submit these to the documentation team.

Regards,

Melissa

0 Kudos

don_gunn
Contributor V

Hi Melissa,

Does this RAW data limitation on the MIPI input apply to the RT1160 as well?  Or can the RT1160 bring in RAW mono data on the MIPI input?

Don

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Don,

Yes, it is the same on RT116x.

Regards,

Melissa

0 Kudos

melissa_hunter
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Jakob,

That ERR was removed, because it was rolled into the RM, not because it was fixed. The RAW format support for the MIPI-CSI was removed from the RM, so this bug is now a feature. We do support RAW formats over the CSI parallel interface, just not over MIPI-CSI.

Regards,

Melissa

0 Kudos

JRIIS
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Melissa,

When we look at the RM we find:

Chapter 46 MIPI CSI2 (MIPI_CSI2)

i.MX RT1170 Processor Reference Manual, Rev. 1, 05/2021

46.2.2 Features

The MIPI-CSI2 Controller has the following key features:

• Implements the PHY layer, and protocol layer. The protocol layer includes Byte to

Pixel unpacking Layer, Low Level protocol, and Lane management

• Supports unidirectional Master operation
  • Scalable data lane support, 1 to 2 Data Lanes
  • Supports high speed mode (80Mbps - 1.5Gbps) per lane
  • Supports 10Mbps data rate in low power mode
  • Includes high speed deserializers
  • Loopback testability support
  • Support for all CSI-2 data types
  • Virtual Channel support
  • Support for D-PHY Ultra Low Power State (ULPS)
  • Error collection support (Rx Only)
  • Flexible pixel-based user interface
  • Supports user generated packets
  • Supports single interface
  • Supports PHY Protocol Interface (PPI) compatible MIPI D-PHYs
  • Support for Rx Video Interface
  • Support for APB Control and Status Register (CSR) interface with IRQ

There is no mention of a limitation around bringing in RAW video from a sensor.  This doesn’t really match up with the idea that there is an issue with RAW data input via MIPI not being supported by the RT1170.

The reference manual actually explicitly states that the RAW format is supported:

JRIIS_0-1643106585321.png

JRIIS_1-1643106585693.png

Something is not clear from documentation.

Could I kindly ask you to provide more information on what is right and wrong regards to MIPI and RAW implementation on RT1170 please?

Thanks,

/Jakob 

0 Kudos