Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1176 QSPI FLASH BOOT

Jump to solution
BasuGouda
Contributor I

Hi,

We are trying to develop an Instrument Cluster using the RT1176 based custom board.

The processor needs to boot using the Flash NOR which is connected similar to the RT1170 EVK, 

the custom board is communicating with the flash using the SPI1 and the pin mux configuration is done as per the table 10-10 as in reference manual and chose Internal Boot mode.

The "Boot configuration setting pins" to be configured using the external switches are mapped to the RGB parallel display in our custom board.

We would like to know if any option is available to boot the program using the NOR external QSPI flash 

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) Does burning the fuse will not allow us to debug or reprogram or is it just we can opt for any other boot combination.
-- No, the eFuse doesn't affect the debug or reprogram.
2) Could you guide us here.
-- Actually, I'd like to suggest you use the GUI tool (MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool ) to burn the eFuse bits.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
According to your statement, the boot configuration set pins are used to connect the LCD panel, so you want to choose another way instead of boot configuration set pins to set the MCU boot from the QSPI flash, is my understanding right?
If yes, it's able to set the eFuse to make the boot from the QSPI, however, I don't recommend you to do it at the development stage, as once burn efuse bit, it's impossible to recover.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
ManikantaRobbi
Contributor II

Hi jeremyzhou,

we are trying to flash  a new project in CM7 standalone for custom designed MIMXRT1176 Board using j-link segger.  which is connected to external flash QSPI as well as OCTAL Flash (HYPER FLASH) which is connected using FLEXSPI-1.

Kindly do the needful.

0 Kudos
BasuGouda
Contributor I

Hi,

Thank you for your quick reply, 

Yes your guess is right, we are trying to burn the fuse in other ways, it would be helpful if you suggest in doing so.

Does burning the fuse will not allow us to debug or reprogram or is it just we can opt for any other boot combination.

If it is upto selecting the other boot options we are OK with it.

I got a point in reference manual to set the OTP BOOT_CONFIG register for burning the fuses by sending the 0 to bits in the address 0x940.

Could you guide us here.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
1) Does burning the fuse will not allow us to debug or reprogram or is it just we can opt for any other boot combination.
-- No, the eFuse doesn't affect the debug or reprogram.
2) Could you guide us here.
-- Actually, I'd like to suggest you use the GUI tool (MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool ) to burn the eFuse bits.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
BasuGouda
Contributor I

Hi Jeremy,

I am trying to do your solution, the process includes to build a boot image using a development image, but I am receiving an error stating the 

“bootable image is not supported, image without header must be used”

So I want to bypass this and configure only OTP fuses using the configuration in OTP configuration tab. Is it advisable to do so.

I am able to connect and read the registers 

The register value for the boot configurator BOOT_CONFIG1[4:7] at address 0x940 is already 0x00000000 as suggested by the reference manual chapter 26.

The advanced feature is suggesting that this OTP tool can be used as the standalone tool to burn the fuses, if that is the case I am accessing the BOOT_CONFIG1 register which already has the default values as 0x0000_0000, which is used to set the fuses for the QSPI flash programming. But the SCMR register is still oxff which gives the actual fuse values as per my understanding.

Please find the attachment for the SCMR BOOT_CONFIG register and the serial read.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Is it advisable to do so.
-- Yes.
2) Please check the boot configuration.

jeremyzhou_0-1656916483895.png

Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
BasuGouda
Contributor I

Dear Jeremy,

Thank you for your valuable inputs,

I have tried blowing fuse the using the advance tab in the OTP configuration in the secure provision tool,

I am able to program the SPI NOR Flash using the serial boot mode.

But when I switch the boot mode I am unable to execute the application from the NOR Flash.

I suspect that I am not blowing the fuse in a right way.

To blow the fuses I have programmed the data 0x0000 to 0x940 [0:15] location.

The same process (Serial Programming and than booting using the internal boot for QSPI) except blowing the fuses I followed using the EVK I was able to execute the application.

Please find the logs for your reference.

Thanks in Advance.

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, you should confirm you area dy burn the correct value to the target area in the eFuse, next, to enable boot from the eFuse, it should set the BOOT_MODE[1:0] = 00 and burn the BT_FUSE_SEL to 1.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos