MIMXRT106ACVL5B and MIMXRT106ADVL6B in AVS application.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT106ACVL5B and MIMXRT106ADVL6B in AVS application.

Rivers
Contributor I

Hi, NXP expert.

We've got some specific applications (as required by FDA, IEC 60601-1-12 standard) that required the device capable to operate on an extended temperature range, mostly in the outdoor environment with the sub-zero temp down to -30'C. This means it requires components with industrial rating temp of -40 to 105'C instead of standard commercial 0 to 85'C.

The point is the SLN-ALEXA-IOT reference design contains a commercial xxACVL5B part running at 600MHz, but as stated in the i.MX RT106x datasheet, the industrial xxADVL6B version is capped at 500MHz which is a hundred MHz lower than the original part.

So please let us know, it is necessary to reconfigure any timing-related (probably audio capture) routines in the AVS SDK for a 500MHz MIMXRT106ADVL6B in order to achieve the same performance or not?

And are there any limitations when using such a lower performance MCU in the AVS application?

Thanks you & Best regards.

Rivers.

0 Kudos
5 Replies

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Rivers ,

There isn't test report about this difference. But I think that should be no problem.RT106A upload voice data to cloud, that don't need to occupy too much CPU bandwidth. In the demo, it use software to convert PDM signal to PCM format. That need a lot of bandwidth. If you use a CODEC chip instead of DMIC, that would be much helpful.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

Rivers
Contributor I

Hi @jingpan@kerryzhou,

Thanks for your trick of using an external CODEC chip. We will try this approach later since it needs more understanding of the AVS SDK in order to implement it properly.

We are about to design our proof-of-concept board for 500MHz RT106A based on SN-ALEXA-IOT (a clone version for performance testing). Does it has anything to concern or modify to the original reference design to support this MCU or we can just only replace the MCU, settle with the original design and leave the rest (PCB, layout, components, etc.) untouched?

And is it necessary to reconfigure any timing-related routines (e.g. audio capture) of the original AVS SDK code to run on the 500MHz RT106A?

Thanks you.

Rivers.

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Rivers ,

No, you needn't change anything in hardware. RT106A has several PLL. Some peripherals clock source is ARM PLL, like PIT, ADC, GPT. If ARM core is 500Mhz, they should be reconfigured. Other peripherals do not use ARM PLL as clock source. They needn't reconfigure.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Rivers ,

You can modify hardware design base on your requirement.

Yes, some of the clock settings need to be change. You can use MCUXpresso Config Tool to do it.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos

Rivers
Contributor I

Hi @jingpan, @kerryzhou,

Can you please be more specific about which settings we need to change in order to put a 500MHz RT106A (xxADVL6B) into the SLN-ALEXA-IOT board (a clone version), like a migration guideline?

Since we don't know exactly how the audio capture, as well as the local ASR libraries really work, so it would be very useful if you give us a check-lists of what we have to do it properly.

Thanks you & Happy New Year!

Rivers.

0 Kudos