MIMXRT1050-EVK MfgTool and QSPI Flash

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MIMXRT1050-EVK MfgTool and QSPI Flash

ryanshuttlewort
Contributor IV

Hello I am using MCUXpresso IDE, version v10.1.0 [Build 589] [2017-11-14] with an RT1050 SDK, version  2.3.0 (2017-11-16).  I have found that I can successfully take an MIMXRT1050-EVK modified for QSPI operation and program it with one of the supplied example_images files in the Flashloader_RT1050_1.0 package, i.e. led_demo_evk_flexspi_nor_0x60002000.srec.  I have, however, been unsuccessful in programming my own image into QSPI so it seems there's something special about the way they were constructed and I have some questions:

How were these files generated? i.e.

led_demo_evk_flexspi_nor_0x60002000.srec

led_demo_evk_flexspi_nor_0x60002000.elf

(I don't mean explain s-records or elf files, I'm wondering if there was something special about their generation.)

Are the projects that generated these images available for MCUXpresso or IAR?

Are they based on or similar to the XIP example provided in the SDK?  I doubt it given the memory offset and structure of the s-records.

Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
6 Replies

jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

You can also try this tool, with this tool, You can flash bare image into various boot devices easily and don't need to care about headers (ivt, boot data...)

GitHub - JayHeng/nxp-sec-boot-ui: A one-stop GUI tool to work with NXP MCU (Kinetis, i.MXRT, LPC) RO... 

0 Kudos

2winkle
Contributor III

Hi ryanshuttleworth,

If you are using MCUXpresso, then in the project settings, in the MCU settings, change the flash location from 0x60000000 to 0x60002000. Then build the project. By default .axf files will be generated. You can use this file(.axf) with elftosb tool to generate boot_image.sb. Flashing this image should work.

Also if you want to generate srec images follow this thread How to generate srec or bin file in MCUXpresso IDE.

0 Kudos

anjalikkrishna
Contributor III

Hi,

Whether the above mentioned steps will work for emwin application build using MCUexpresso ? . When I tried to convert the emwin afx file to .bin format , the elftosb utility is stopping . QSPI flashing is possible for emwin applications?

Thanks & Regards,

Anjali

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

As the example, try the following.

1. Copy the “program_flexspinor_image_qspinor.bd”(attached) to the imx10xx folder(located in Tools/bd_file/imx10xx) within the Flashloader folder.

2. Copy the .out file to Tools/elftosb/win

3. Run the elftosb.exe and type this two commands:

elftosb.exe -f imx -V -c ../../bd_file/imx10xx/imx-flexspinor-normal-unsigned.bd -o ivt_flexspi_nor_hello_world.bin hello_world.out

elftosb.exe -f kinetis -V -c ../../bd_file/imx10xx/program_flexspinor_image_qspinor.bd -o boot_image.sb ivt_flexspi_nor_hello_world_nopadding.bin

4. Copy the “boot_image.sb” to the Tools/mfgtools-rel/Profiles/MXRT105X/OS Firmware

5. Using the MFG TOOL to download.(When using this tool, please make sure that the mode is serial downloader mode.)

6. Configure the boot mode to QSPI mode(SW7:0010)

Have a great day,
Artur

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note: If this post answers your question, please click the Correct Answer button. Thank you!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

ryanshuttlewort
Contributor IV

Hello Artur, thanks for the response.  I have followed your procedure but the image still does not boot.  It is important to point out that I am using MCUXpresso, not IAR so I don't have a .out file.  Perhaps this is the issue.  I have been attempting the procedure above with .bin and srec files along with suggestions like this one 

Can you suggest an appropriate procedure for using MCUXpresso build artifacts like axf, bin s19 etc.

0 Kudos

art
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Please give me some more time to study the case accurately. I have some experience with IAR, but not with MCUXpresso.

Best Regards,

Artur

0 Kudos