Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool v3.1 Not working for i.MXRT1166

Jump to solution
vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

Hi all,

I am using i.MX RT1166DVM5A board. I have started using the MCUXpresso IDE examples for i.MX RT 1160 EVK & could execute & debug through the IDE(evkmimxrt1160_iled_blinky_cm7) & could see the LED blinking.

Now I wanted to verify the same sample example through MCUXpresso Secure Provisioning Tool v3.1.I have set the boot mode switch to SDP mode to use the USB HID / UART based flashing support & boot type set as unsigned & Boot Device set as flex-spi-nor/IS25LPxxxA_IS25WPxxxA.

USB HID/ UART are getting connected successfully.

vishnusudhankj_1-1651656437247.png

But when I try to select the source executable image as sample example file (evkmimxrt1160_iled_blinky_cm7.axf). start address seems be showing as NOT VALID & its not allowing image to write. 

Are anyone observing similar issue with i.MX RT1166(1160EVK). Am I missing any steps? Any reference towards this ? I could able to write image & verify the working through i.MX RT1060 EVK.

vishnusudhankj_0-1651656263256.png

Tags (1)
1 Solution
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @vishnusudhankj ,

In your new post, please also share your .bin file to that post, then we can help you check it in your new post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

What is the program vector table start address in your evkmimxrt1160_iled_blinky_cm7.axf?

0x30001000 (XIP) or 0x0000_0000 (Non-XIP)?

If it is 0x0000_0000, you need to move it to 0x0000_2000.

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

@jay_heng 

Thanks for your support.

I tried to download the latest MCU Secure provisioning tool V4.0 (which is updated on 2nd may 2022), with that Tool V4.0 , I could able to flash the sample code available on MCUXpresso IDE  'evkmimxrt1160_iled_blinky_cm7.axf' through MCU Xpersso Tool V4.0 through USB HID & UART.

But if I build the sample blinky application(sample application already provided by zephyr)  using zephyr west build command (referred https://docs.zephyrproject.org/). The build binary image (with zephyr) I tried to flash through MCU Secure Provisioning tool V4.0 through USB-HID/UART, since west flash doesn't have support to flash through USB-HID/UART. Its only supporting flash the image through JTAG(JLink Segger) , even PyOCD support also not provided for i.MX RT1160 EVK.

I need to flash the application with zephyr using USB-HID/UART, so , I choose the secure provisioning tool to flash the application image . When I try to select the required binary image (build with zephyr) to flash through secure provisioning tool V4.0 , I am getting error like bootable image not supported , image without header must be used.

send.png

Is there any reference available how to remove header ? so I will try to flash the image without header . Also please refer , where I need to find the exact start address to flash the required image(layout) ? 

0 Kudos
jay_heng
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Can you generate .srec/.hex image format? so you can open the image file by text editor to see the address.

If you want to generate raw image, you need to remove macro from project.

XIP_Setting.PNG

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

@jay_heng ,

Thanks for your reply,

I could able to generate the required output & able to flash with the MCUXpresso sample project.

But I am facing issue while I am building the sample blinky project with Zephyr RTOS(referred : Getting Started Guide — Zephyr Project Documentation)   

Able to generate the required bin/hex file .  I tried to flash the image with MCU Secure Provisioning Tool V4 which generated on the zephyr project , Its shows error as image without header must be used.

Suggest where we can refer to remove this header? 

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @vishnusudhankj ,

So, if you use the SDK directly sample code, it can works with the MCUXpresso Secure provisioning tool, right?

Just the Zephyr project generated app.hex/bin can't be recognized, right?

If you use the Zephyr project download code directly, whether that works OK or not?

If this is just the Zephyr project image meet issues, I highly suggest you create a new question post about Zephyr, then we can help you in your new post.

Best Regards,

Kerry

vishnusudhankj
Contributor III

@kerryzhou Thanks for your reply,

If you use the Zephyr project download code directly, whether that works OK or not?

Yes its works.

I posted this issue separately as below,

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/Zephyr-build-image-sample-blinky-application-not-getting-flash/...

https://github.com/zephyrproject-rtos/zephyr/discussions/45559 (posted on github zephyr project too)

Kindly support for this.

0 Kudos
kerryzhou
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @vishnusudhankj ,

In your new post, please also share your .bin file to that post, then we can help you check it in your new post, thanks.

Best Regards,

Kerry

0 Kudos