Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keeping old SDK versions

Jump to solution
D_TTSA
Contributor V

Good day

I am using MCUXpresso for my development, so if the answer could be specific to that, that would be great!

When a new SDK version comes out, sometimes I upgrade to it, but then I find that the new SDK update introduces a problem in my project that I didn't have before.

At the moment, the only way I can go back to an older SDK version is to uninstall the new SDK and reinstall the old SDK version.

Also, if I import a back up of the project that uses an older SDK version, it automatically updates the project to the latest version of the SDK.

My questions:

1) Is there any way I can stop the auto-update of SDK versions for my projects, so that I can maintain stability until I decide I want to switch to the most recent update? 

2) Is there an easier way to go back to an old SDK version other than having to mess with the part support, uninstall the latest SDK version, reinstall the SDK version that I want to use? (something like a backwards version of this https://mcuoneclipse.com/2021/04/27/upgrade-to-a-new-nxp-mcuxpresso-sdk/)

3) Is it possible to have different projects in the same workspace, that use different SDK versions?

Thanks in advance! 

Tags (2)
1 Solution
FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

1) This will not be possible as MCUXpresso will automatically associate SDK to the project imported, you will need to uninstall recent version and install old SDK prior importing the project.

2) As we recommend to always use our latest version of SDK, I am afraid there is no straight forward option to go back to previous SDK versions other that the one you mentioned.

3) No, as MCUXpresso will not allow you to have multiple SDK versions of the same board installed.

Best regards,

Felipe

View solution in original post

3 Replies
FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

1) This will not be possible as MCUXpresso will automatically associate SDK to the project imported, you will need to uninstall recent version and install old SDK prior importing the project.

2) As we recommend to always use our latest version of SDK, I am afraid there is no straight forward option to go back to previous SDK versions other that the one you mentioned.

3) No, as MCUXpresso will not allow you to have multiple SDK versions of the same board installed.

Best regards,

Felipe

jrnTransAct
Contributor III

Thank you for that answer @FelipeGarcia 

I'd like to express that I and many other developers would find this a VERY useful feature.
Does NXP have any plans to develop such a feature?

Regards.

------
Jim Norton
Sr. Firmware Engineer - TransAct Technologies, Inc.
nsiegel
Contributor IV

By default, MCUXpresso uses a "common MCUXpresso folder" for SDK installations.

The workspace can be configured such that it doesn't look at this common folder, but only in the workspace itself.

From the MCUXpresso menu bar: 

Window -> Preferences -> MCUXpressoIDE -> SDK Handling -> Installation

Change SDK Location to "Workspace".  Also remove the existing "common" folder location.  Apply and close.  

After this, import your desired SDK and the IDE should only be using that particular version of the SDK.