Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

J-Link OpenSDA firmware for the MIMXRT1060-EVK

Jump to solution
oboucard
Contributor II

Hello,

I'm trying to install Zephyr on my recently acquired MIMXRT1060-EVK. If I understand correctly I need to use J-Link to flash the board, but I don't have a J-Link probe.

I see that there is a special firmware for the MIMXRT1050-EVK, but not for the MIMXRT1060-EVK. Is there a plan to release the MIMXRT1060-EVK J-Link OpenSDA firmware in the near future?

Or is there any alternative to flash Zephyr on my MIMXRT1060-EVK?

Thank you

Labels (1)
1 Solution
brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

J-Link support is now available for this board and any i.MX RT10xx board that has the LPC4322-based debug circuit (marked as "Freelink" on the schematic, but actually a clone of our LPC-Link2 architecture). Please see this application  note: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13206.pdf

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
8 Replies
maureen
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Olivier,

There aren't any plans to release JLink firmware for RT1060-EVK. If you don't have an external JLink probe, there is a workaround using the DAPLink firmware:

1. Program the flash by copying zephyr.bin to the USB mass storage device

2. Attach a debugger by running `west attach -r pyocd`

Maureen

brendonslade
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

J-Link support is now available for this board and any i.MX RT10xx board that has the LPC4322-based debug circuit (marked as "Freelink" on the schematic, but actually a clone of our LPC-Link2 architecture). Please see this application  note: https://www.nxp.com/docs/en/application-note/AN13206.pdf

0 Kudos
oboucard
Contributor II

Hi Maureen,

Amazing, thank you very much, I have been able to flash the hello_world and blinky sample this way, it works great.

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Olivier,

MIMXRT1060-EVK openSDA is DAPlink default. You needn't change it to Jlink. DAPlink is similar to Ulink. You can download your project by it directly.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos
oboucard
Contributor II

Thank you Jing,

Unfortunately, if I read the Zephyr documentation correctly (see here):

This board is configured by default to use the OpenSDA DAPLink Onboard Debug Probe, however the pyOCD Debug Host Tools do not yet support programming the external flashes on this board so you must reconfigure the board for one of the following debug probes instead.

I cannot use DAPLink to flash my board with Zephyr. However I saw that Segger is offering a special firmware which can avoid using a J-Link (see here) but its only available for the MIMXRT1050 and not the MIMXRT1060.

So my question is more about the availability of the Segger J-Link OpenSDA firmware for the MIMXRT1060.

0 Kudos
bryanaudiffred
Contributor I

PyOCD (at v0.22) does have built-in support for RT1021 and RT1052 which includes flash programming.  However, it fails partway through programming my mimxrt1021_evk board.  This is with the OpenSDA 254 release that does seem to correctly identify the CMSIS-DAPv2 interface of the DAPLink firmware.  

0 Kudos
jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi,

The openSDA on RT1060 evk only support DAPlink. It has a LPC4322 core, not K20. So, other jlink firmware can't run on it. You have to use a real Jlink adapter to connect J21.

Regards,

Jing

oboucard
Contributor II

Thank you for your reply.

0 Kudos