IMXRT1064 Connected to Self-Powered Devices

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1064 Connected to Self-Powered Devices

Vagni
Contributor IV

I developed my first board based on the i.MX RT1064 processor. This board must be connected to another one, handling digital and analog inputs and outputs.

Now, I am working on validation of my hardware and I get a power up issue: the cpu seems not to reset well and I cannot have the MCUXpresso debugger connected to the target core through JTAG/SWD port.

I know about the i.MX RT1064 power up sequence and on my hardware I used quite the same power supply circuits on the MIMXRT1064-EVK.

My cpu board is +5V power supplied by my other external board. On this external board there are also some digital and analog devices which are supplied with a +3.3V generated locally from the same +5V power.

After some investigations I realized that all the inputs from those digital and analog devices directly connected to the cpu pins may keep VDD_HIGH_IN and DCDC_IN at about 2V (through the cpu internal clamp diodes, I think), even if the +5V/+3.3V DCDC on my cpu board is disabled. In that reset condition the cpu internal DCDC does not start properly, so the cpu core is not well powered and the JTAG/SWD connection is not possible.

Now my questions:

• With i.MX RT1064 cpu what is the correct way to handle self-powered inputs coming from the external world?
  • Should also all the external 3,3V powered devices be switched off during the reset sequence?
  • Alternatively (if I could not switch off the external power), should I decouple every self-powered input coming from the external world? I think this is made on the JTAG lines on the MIMXRT1064-EVK, right?
  • Regarding to ADC inputs, I think they have internal clamp diodes too, right? Decoupling an analog input is harder than a digital one....

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
1 Reply

jingpan
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi @Vagni ,

Each gpio pin has a internal ESD diode. When RT1064 is power down, the high voltage on gpio pin can inject current to system via this diode. And PSWITCH pin will also has 2.2V. This can prevent RT1064 power up correctly. 

1.So, need to limit the GPIO injecting current when the chip is not powered.

2.Yes, ADC inputs have internal clamp diodes, same as other GPIO pins.

Regards,

Jing

0 Kudos