cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

IMXRT1020EVK booting from SD card not working

Jump to solution
nicolasmuratore
Contributor III

Hi All, hope you are doing well, I bought a IMXRT1020EVK because is a very interesting option for a new proyect where I need to boot from SD card.

I'm using MCUExpresso 11.2.0, I could download many examples using SDRAM, USB and SD card and all of those are working fine.

But when I tried to generate an image to boot from SD card using Flashloader 1.0 for RT1020, it doesn't work.

I config the MCUexpresso project led_blinky to link from SRAM, like I see on many 

tutorials made on imxrt 1050 like this:

https://mcuoneclipse.com/2019/01/22/tutorial-booting-the-nxp-i-mx-rt-from-micro-sd-card/Tutorial: Bo...

I read the AN12107, i.MX MCU Manufacturing User's Guide, I.MXRT1020 Flashloader v1.0.0 Release Notes and every pdf related to.

I tried using ITC and OC RAM, modifing .bd file:

options {
flags = 0x00;
# Note: This is an example address, it can be any non-zero address in ITCM region
startAddress = 0x1000;  // I tried with 0x1000, 0x8000, etc
ivtOffset = 0x400;
initialLoadSize = 0x2000;
# Note: This is required if the default entrypoint is not the Reset_Handler
# Please set the entryPointAddress to Reset_Handler address
entryPointAddress = 0x00002000;  // I tried with 0x00000000, 0x0000A000, etc....
}

sources {
elfFile = extern(0);
}

section (0)
{

Using the "program_sdcard_image.bd" file for flashloader, I generate the boot_image.sb file and then using the MFgTool2 seems that the file is downloaded, the response is "Done" and the log file says "Body is update Completed!",  But the SD Card is empty!!!

I know that the SD card is valid because I could use a proyect in the MCU expresso to write and read from SD card and it works fine. 

Could you please help me on this?

I know that the IMXRT1020 is able to boot from SD Card because the manual say so.

Many thanks.

0 Kudos
1 Solution
nicolasmuratore
Contributor III

Is working now!!!!

I made a mistake selecting the "start address" on imx_itcm_unsigned.bd file.

Thanks!!

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
3 Replies
nicolasmuratore
Contributor III

Hi Victor, thanks for your answer, yes I've changed the SW8, like this:

1) Serial downloader mode, SW8-1=OFF SW8-2=OFF SW8-3=OFF SW8-4=ON, to use the Flashloader.

2) After that, I've changed the SW8 to boot from SDcard,  SW8-1=OFF SW8-2=ON SW8-3=ON SW8-4=OFF

The thing is that after the process to download the image using Flashloader (when I get good results from log file), the SD card is empty.

I think that maybe the flashloader is downloading the image to SRAM in a right way, but the MCU bootloader don't download it to the SD card after, that I think would be the normal process, could be possible?

Many thanks and best regards.

0 Kudos
victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello, 

Are you making the proper changes in SW8 to program the board and to boot from the SD card instead of the external flash memory? 

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos
nicolasmuratore
Contributor III

Is working now!!!!

I made a mistake selecting the "start address" on imx_itcm_unsigned.bd file.

Thanks!!

0 Kudos