cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to reconfigure the flexRAM on i.mxRT 1062 using MCUXpresso

rajani_kolani
Contributor III

Hi,

I want to double the DTCM from the default 125K to 256K without Fusing the configuration value. From the Application note AN12077, I understand that it can be done using FLEXRAM_BANK_CFG defined in IOMUXC_GPR_GPR17. 

After a quick search in NXP community I found a thread on FlexRAM and Linker Problem. I followed the solution provided by Jack King to change the Stack to the start of RAM and added the IOMUXC_GPR_GPR17 update at the beginning of ResetISR function. This resolves the problem of the Debugger hanging, but malloc is failing (hardfault) in RTOS based examples. Could you please let me know what is missing in my case.

We have a custom board with i.mxRT1062, where the issue originated. But I can reproduce it on a RT1060 eval board too. 

Thanks & Regards,

Rajani

11 Replies

anthonyama
Contributor III

Hi @victorjimenez , @rajani_kolani 

Sorry for my disturb.

I have the same issue when reallocate FlexRAM on RT1064.

I am using IAREW, so I setting FlexRAM in startup_MIMXRT1064.s as below.

__iomux_gpr14_adr		EQU		0x400AC038  
__iomux_gpr16_adr		EQU		0x400AC040  
__iomux_gpr17_adr		EQU		0x400AC044      
__flexram_bank_cfg		EQU		0x55555555		; 512k OCRAM, 0k DTCM, 0k ITCM 
__flexram_itcm_size		EQU		0x0				; 0K 
__flexram_dtcm_size		EQU		0x0				; 0K 

;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;;
;;
;; Default interrupt handlers.
;;
        THUMB

PUBWEAK Reset_Handler
        SECTION .text:CODE:REORDER:NOROOT(2)
Reset_Handler
        CPSID   I               ; Mask interrupts
        LDR     R0, =0xE000ED08
        LDR     R1, =__vector_table
        STR     R1, [R0]
        LDR     R2, [R1]
        MSR     MSP, R2

; NOTE: FLEXRAM_CFG_ENABLE 
        DSB 
        ISB 
        LDR     R0,=__iomux_gpr17_adr    ; load IOMUXC_GPR17 register address to R0  
        MOV32   R1,__flexram_bank_cfg  ; move FlexRAM configuration value to R1 
        STR     R1,[R0] 
        DSB 
        ISB

LDR     R0,=__iomux_gpr16_adr    ; load IOMUXC_GPR16 register address to R0 
        LDR     R1,[R0]                  ; load IOMUXC_GPR16 register value to R1 
        ORR     R1, R1, #4                ; set corresponding FLEXRAM_BANK_CFG_SEL bit 
        STR     R1,[R0]                  ; store the value to IOMUXC_GPR16 (user defined FlexRAM cfg enabled) 
        DSB 
        ISB 

; NOTE: FLEXRAM_ITCM_ZERO_SIZE 
        LDR     R1,[R0]                   ; load IOMUXC_GPR16 register value to R1 
        AND     R1, R1, #0xFFFFFFFE       ; clear corresponding INIT_ITCM_EN bit 
        STR     R1,[R0]                  ; store the value to IOMUXC_GPR16 (disable ITCM) 
        DSB 
        ISB 

; NOTE: FLEXRAM_DTCM_ZERO_SIZE 
        LDR     R1,[R0]                   ; load IOMUXC_GPR16 register value to R1 
        AND     R1, R1, #0xFFFFFFFD       ; clear corresponding INIT_DTCM_EN bit 
        STR     R1,[R0]                  ; store the value to IOMUXC_GPR16 (disable DTCM) 
        DSB 
        ISB 

; NOTE: FLEXRAM_XTCM_POWER_OF_TWO_SIZE 
        LDR     R0,=__iomux_gpr14_adr    ; load IOMUXC_GPR14 register address to R0 
        LDR     R1,[R0]                  ; load IOMUXC_GPR14 register value to R1 
        MOVT    R1, #0x0000              ; clear upper halfword of IOMUXC_GPR14 register 
        MOV     R2, #__flexram_itcm_size 
        MOV     R3, #__flexram_dtcm_size 
        LSL     R2, R2, #16 
        LSL     R3, R3, #20 
        ORR     R1, R2, R3 
        STR     R1,[R0]                  ; store the value to IOMUXC_GPR14 
        DSB 
        ISB 

LDR     R0, =SystemInit
        BLX     R0
        CPSIE   I               ; Unmask interrupts
        LDR     R0, =__iar_program_start
        BX      R0

And I set RAM in .icf file from 0x20200000~ 0x202FFFFF

As your above discussions, must change RAM setting in BOARD_ConfigMPU() as below, but I can't find where 0K (ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_0KB) is defined in mpu_armv7.h

/* Region 5 setting: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, outer/inner write back */
MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(5, 0x00000000U);
MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_0KB ???);

/* Region 6 setting: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, outer/inner write back */
MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(6, 0x20000000U);
MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_0KB ???);

/* Region 7 setting: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, outer/inner write back */
MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(7, 0x20200000U);
MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_512KB);

/* Region 8 setting: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, outer/inner write back */
MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(8, 0x20280000U);
MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_512KB);

By the way, If I want to set FlexRAM to (320k OCRAM, 128k DTCM, 64k ITCM ), how to I set size for OCRAM with 320K?

In mpu_armv7.h, 320K is not defined too.

I think It will be liked this, is it right?

/* Region 8 setting: Memory with Normal type, not shareable, outer/inner write back */
MPU->RBAR = ARM_MPU_RBAR(8, 0x20280000U);
MPU->RASR = ARM_MPU_RASR(0, ARM_MPU_AP_FULL, 0, 0, 1, 1, 0, ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_256KB | ARM_MPU_REGION_SIZE_64KB);

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Rajani, 

Could you please share with me the community thread from Jack King that you referred to?

Besides changing the IOMUXC_GPR_GPR17 register during the startup you also need to modify the MCU settings so the new FlexRAM sizes match the ones that you are configuring on the register IOMUXC_GPR_GPR17. 

pastedImage_1.png

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos

rajani_kolani
Contributor III

Hi Victor,

The link to the thread I followed is given below

https://community.nxp.com/message/1305829?commentID=1305829&et=watches.email.thread

The solution was provided by Jack King as below

It is for imxRT1052, but I thought I could do the same for imxRT1062.

Fundamentally I need to increase the DTC RAM to 256K. Could you please let me know how to do this?

Thanks & Regards,

Rajani

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rajani, 

First, it's important to mention that the reallocating of the FlexRAM has to be done before you initialize the FlexRAM. So, reallocating the FlexRAM has to be done at the begging of the ResetISR that is located in the file startup_mimxrt1062.c. The following code reallocates the FlexRAM in the following way:   DTC = 265KB, ITC = 128KB and OC = 640KB 

__asm (".syntax unified\n"

"LDR     R0, =0x400ac044\n"

"LDR     R1, =0x55ffaaaa\n"//FlexRAM configuration DTC = 265KB, ITC = 128KB, OC = 640KB 

"STR     R1,[R0]\n"

"LDR     R0,=0x400ac040\n"

"LDR     R1,=0x04\n"

"LDR     R3,[R0]\n"

"ORR     R2,R1,R3\n"

"STR     R2,[R0]\n"

".syntax divided\n");

Once you added this code on the ResetISR you need to modify the memory details of the project to match this new configuration. This can be done with the MCU settings of the project. 

pastedImage_1.png

At this point, you can compile the project without any problems and in the MCUXpresso console, you will see that the changes that you just made took effect. 

pastedImage_2.png

The last change that you need to make it's in the file fsl_flexspi_nor_boot.c. In this file, it's declared the image vector table which contains the image entry function. You need to change this to be the ResetISR. 

pastedImage_3.png

That's it! Now you should be able to compile and debug the project without any problems. 

Regards, 

Victor 

TomGibson
Contributor III

Hi Victor,

How is the value 0x55FFAAAA arrived at?

In the FlexRAM allocation application note the value for the configuration of 256k DTC 128k ITC 128k+512k OC is given as 0b01011010101011111111101010100101 which in hex is 0x5AAFFAA5.

I want to use a configuration of 448k DTC 64k OCRAM which in the application note is given as 0b10101010101010101010101010100101, how do I translate this to hex?

I'm using the i.MX RT 1050 EVKB.

Thanks,

Tom

0 Kudos

jdj
Contributor II

Good, helpful explanation. Only missing point is moving the stack, which is necessary if ResetISR() is written in C and not assembler.

One question though: why the change to fsl_flexspi_nor_boot.c? I just changed this back in my test code and it works fine as well, although I did move the stack to the beginning of DTC.

0 Kudos

rajani_kolani
Contributor III

Hi Victor,

Thanks for the detailed explanation. It did fix my issue. Just one more question before closing this issue, do I need to change anything inside the void BOARD_ConfigMPU(void)

function? I remember reading somewhere that the Regions 4,5&6 need to be updated if the RAM size is adjusted!

Best Regards,

Rajani

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rajani, 

Could you please tell me where did you read that? There's no need to modify anything related to the MPU when you reallocate the FlexRAM. 

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos

rajani_kolani
Contributor III

Hi Victor,

I couldn’t locate the exact thread as I was searching generally for RAM configuration in the community! I think it may be this one

https://community.nxp.com/message/1248285?commentID=1248285#comment-1248285

it mentions -- Yes, it's also necessary to adapt the BOARD_ConfigMPU() to fit the management of the memory allocation. By jeremyzhou<https://community.nxp.com/people/jeremyzhou>.

Thanks & Regards,

Rajani

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hi Rajani, 

Thanks for your patience regarding this thread. I checked this with our applications team directly and you were right. When modifying the FlexRAM, you also need to change the BOARD_ConfigMPU to match these new configurations. For example, in your case that you wanted to have the following configuration: DTC = 265KB, ITC = 128KB, and OC = 640KB. You need to change Regions 4, 5, and 7 of the BOARD_ConfigMPU function to match this new configuration. So your BOARD_ConfigMPU function should look like the following: 

pastedImage_4.png

Have a great day,

Victor

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct"button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored

Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

0 Kudos

rajani_kolani
Contributor III

Thanks Victor.

0 Kudos