How to exit serial download mode with sdphost (RT1050)

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to exit serial download mode with sdphost (RT1050)

Jump to solution
eric_yp_chen
Contributor I

Hey @jeremyzhou 

Is it possible to exit serial download mode by using sdphost's write-register command ?

First, I've already upload bootable image into SPI flash through blhost.

After I send blhost --reset command , the device seems boot abnormally.

It boot into serial download mode again. However, if I re-plug in the power , or press the POR reset button. It can boot normally into my application.

I'd like to know what's wrong with this condition ?

BR,

Eric

0 Kudos
1 Solution
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for sharing the detailed steps and I replicated the phenomenon on my side too.
According to the testing, we can jump to conclusion that the BOOT_MODE is initialized by sampling the BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 inputs on the rising edge of the POR_B.
Hope this is clear.
Have a great day,
TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and for the opportunity to serve you.
1) I'd like to know what's wrong with this condition?
-- I think the source code of handling the Reset command can give us the answer.

//! @brief Reset command handler.
void handle_reset(uint8_t *packet, uint32_t packetLength)
{
    command_packet_t *commandPacket = (command_packet_t *)packet;
    send_generic_response(kStatus_Success, commandPacket->commandTag);

// Wait for the ack from the host to the generic response
    g_bootloaderContext.activePeripheral->packetInterface->finalize(g_bootloaderContext.activePeripheral);

// Prepare for shutdown.
    shutdown_cleanup(kShutdownType_Reset);
#if defined(BL_FEATURE_6PINS_PERIPHERAL) && BL_FEATURE_6PINS_PERIPHERAL
    shutdown_cleanup(kShutdownType_Cleanup);
#endif // BL_FEATURE_6PINS_PERIPHERAL

NVIC_SystemReset();
    // Does not get here.
    assert(0);
}

After going through the code, we can find that the handle_reset function will execute the NVIC_SystemReset() to trigger a reset event, then MCU will boot from the mode which is determined by either boot pins or fuse set, and I think it can explain the phenomenon you encountered.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.

0 Kudos
eric_yp_chen
Contributor I

Hi @jeremyzhou 

OK, I seem to know the problem.  First, I forced BOOT_CFG Pin = 01 to enter sdp mode.

After that, upload flashloader image and run. At this moment, even though I change pin setting to internal boot mode

while flashloader is still running. BOOT_CFG Pin setting will be only latch once after power-on reset.

Also, Blhost --reset command is not equal power-on reset. So, it will always boot into serial download mode.

Am I right ?

BR,

Eric

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for your reply.
1) Am I right?
-- No, I'm afraid not, I think the --reset command to force the MCU exit the Serial Download if the BOOT CFG pins were set to internal boot mode before.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos
eric_yp_chen
Contributor I

Hi @jeremyzhou 

My verification steps as below:  ( using IMXRT1050-EVKB)

1. Modify SW7 to 0001 (Set as serial download).

2. Use MCUBootUtility upload flashloader.

3. Use MCUBootUtility upload bootable image into nor-flash.

4. Modify SW7 to 0010 (Set as internal boot).

5. Press "reset device" button on MCUBootUtility --> this will trigger sending blhost --reset command

After these steps, mcu still stuck in serial download mode.

At this moment, you could try using this command "sdphost -t 50000 -u 0x1FC9,0x0130 -- read-register 1074757660 32 4"

This register represent SRC_SBMR2 which include BootMode Pin setting.

It always shows BootMode = 01, that means mcu didn't latch new setting when we sending blhost--reset

command through usb.

I've tried over 30 times or more..., the results were all the same.  BOOT_CFG Pin setting will be only latch once after POR_B hardware reset triggered. Otherwise it won't be changed.

You could try by yourself.

BR,

Eric

0 Kudos
jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,
Thanks for sharing the detailed steps and I replicated the phenomenon on my side too.
According to the testing, we can jump to conclusion that the BOOT_MODE is initialized by sampling the BOOT_MODE0 and BOOT_MODE1 inputs on the rising edge of the POR_B.
Hope this is clear.
Have a great day,
TIC

Note:

0 Kudos