How to do the bootable image upgrade after production?

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to do the bootable image upgrade after production?

Jump to solution
calvin1
Contributor II

Hi, 

Our platform is the iMXRT1020, we are using the XIP QSPI flash as our bootable image storage, since in our design we only embed a USB-A female port, not USB-Micro OTG, could we program the bootable image through Serial Downloader, or said, to program XIP flash? Can I upload the generated bootable image through an external USB storage? or we actually need to design our own Flashloader?

Also, I wonder how could we switch the bootmode after production? since it should be switched by I/O pins, is there any soft way to switch it?

Please suggest if there is any designed solution, thanks a lot.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Solution
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Calvin Lin

Could we program the bootable image through Serial Downloader, or said, to program XIP flash?

Yes, you can use the mfgtool with the USB interface.

Can I upload the generated bootable image through an external USB storage? or we actually need to design our own Flashloader?

For this case you would need to create your own USB-MSD flashloader, as the ROM code doesn't do this.

Also, I wonder how could we switch the bootmode after production? since it should be switched by I/O pins, is there any soft way to switch it?

No, unfortunately, there isn't any software methode to jumpt to serial downloader from the application image.

Hope this helps

Best regards

View solution in original post

3 Replies
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Calvin Lin

Could we program the bootable image through Serial Downloader, or said, to program XIP flash?

Yes, you can use the mfgtool with the USB interface.

Can I upload the generated bootable image through an external USB storage? or we actually need to design our own Flashloader?

For this case you would need to create your own USB-MSD flashloader, as the ROM code doesn't do this.

No, unfortunately, there isn't any software methode to jumpt to serial downloader from the application image.

Hope this helps

Best regards

calvin1
Contributor II

Hi Jorge,

Could you please explain in advance for the USB interface connection? We would like to built our device with a USB-A receptacle port (the same one as PC), but I don't know what USB cable I can use to connect each other(PC to iMXRT), or to provide our customer that cable for their future firmware upgrading.

0 Kudos
jorge_a_vazquez
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi Calvin

Do you mean in the hardware layout requirements? I recommend you to base your board in the desing of the evaluation board of NXP (EVK). You can also check the following post:

https://www.nxp.com/webapp/Download?colCode=MIMXRT1020HDUG 

according to your description, in the case of the cable, you would need a USB-A to USB-A

Best regards

Jorge Alcala