How to configure QSPI flash before BootROM read data from it.

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to configure QSPI flash before BootROM read data from it.

ju-hakpark
Contributor I

Dear NXP Support,

I am currently using i.MXRT1052CVL6B and Winbond W25Q64FV2PIG QSPI Serial NOR flash memory attached to FlexSPI.

Unfortunately Winbond W25Q64FV2PIG has a default configuration to use standard SPI and QE bit in status register  should be set before running fast read command (0xEB).

So I tried to find proper configuration value in FlexSPI configuration block then found some fields look like to configure QSPI flash before running operation by LUT.

These are 'deviceModeCfgEnable', 'deviceModeType', 'deviceModeSeq', and 'deviceModeArg'.

But the descriptions in IMXRT1050 Reference Manual are not enough for me to use these configurations.

So I would like to know how Bootrom can send a command to set it in Quad SPI mode before XIP operation.

And one more thing.

I am really curious about macro definitions for LUT opcodes in evkbimxrt1050_flexspi_nor_config.h which are 

#define CMD_SDR 0x01
#define CMD_DDR 0x21
#define RADDR_SDR 0x02
#define RADDR_DDR 0x22
#define CADDR_SDR 0x03
#define CADDR_DDR 0x23
#define MODE1_SDR 0x04
#define MODE1_DDR 0x24
#define MODE2_SDR 0x05
#define MODE2_DDR 0x25
#define MODE4_SDR 0x06
#define MODE4_DDR 0x26
#define MODE8_SDR 0x07
#define MODE8_DDR 0x27
#define WRITE_SDR 0x08
#define WRITE_DDR 0x28
#define READ_SDR 0x09
#define READ_DDR 0x29
#define LEARN_SDR 0x0A
#define LEARN_DDR 0x2A
#define DATSZ_SDR 0x0B
#define DATSZ_DDR 0x2B
#define DUMMY_SDR 0x0C
#define DUMMY_DDR 0x2C
#define DUMMY_RWDS_SDR 0x0D
#define DUMMY_RWDS_DDR 0x2D
#define JMP_ON_CS 0x1F
#define STOP 0

Do you have any documents explains how  to use FLEXSPI_LUT_SEQ() macros to make custom LUT?

Thanks in advance,

Jay

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

jeremyzhou
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi

Thank you for your interest in NXP Semiconductor products and
for the opportunity to serve you.
To enable the QE bit, we'd highly recommend the developer to debug the flexspi_nor_polling_transfe (~\SDK_2.6.1_EVKB-IMXRT1050\boards\evkbimxrt1050\driver_examples\flexspi\nor\polling_transfer) demo project once, the demo project provides the flexspi_nor_enable_quad_mode() function which can set the QE bit.
Please give a try.

pastedImage_1.png

TIC

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Note:
- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored
Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

0 Kudos

SpoonMan
Contributor IV

Hi @jeremyzhou,

I noticed that the exact identical example for i.MX RT1060 is also invoking flexspi_nor_enable_quad_mode() method even if, according to @diego_charles reply to my thread:

https://community.nxp.com/t5/i-MX-RT/Cannot-understand-how-XIP-FlexSPI-configuration-could-work-on/m...

he said that BootROM is in charge to (magically?) set QE bit in status register before program execution starts. So the question is, what's the purpose of invoking this method? If I skip it, the example works flawlessly.

0 Kudos