FlexSPI boot and XIP operation in Parallel flash mode - 100 Pin LQFP Package IMXRT1021

cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

FlexSPI boot and XIP operation in Parallel flash mode - 100 Pin LQFP Package IMXRT1021

rahawaj
Contributor I

Hi, I am developing a new hardware based on IMXRT1021, 100 pin LQFP package. I planned to use Serial NOR Flash (Adesto AT25SF128A Flash) connected to  FlexSPI for booting and then XIP  in parallel mode. i.e. I want to use two Flash devices one in FlexSPI_A and FlexSPI_B so that the data width becomes 8 bit.

When I go through the IMXRT1020CEC.pdf document, I find that Flash CS pin assigned to FlexSPI_B at boot time, GPIO_SD_B0_04,  is not available in 100 pin LQFP package. In XIP mode, after the boot process is over, the boot code transfers the control to the application in Flash, hence application code may not be able to configure alternate pin for FlexSPI_B CS signal. 

My conclusion is that with IMXRT1021, 100 pin package, I cannot use FlxSPI boot flash in parellel mode for XIP operation, (unless I run the initial code from RAM (copied into RAM as part of boot process from single flash connected to FlexSPI_A) , then reconfigure the pins for FlexSPI_B and then transfer control to XIP code in parallel flash).

Is my understanding correct?

Thanks

Labels (1)
0 Kudos
2 Replies

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jawahar Arumugam, 

Sorry for the late response. I'm currently checking this with the design team. I will give you an update as soon as possible. 

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos

victorjimenez
NXP TechSupport
NXP TechSupport

Hello Jawahar Arumugam, 

GPIO_SD_B1_05 can also be flexspi.B_SS0_B (alt4), so LQFP100 RT1021 can boot through FlexSPI in parallel mode, but you need to configure this pin in your app code, BootROM is not able to configure this pin.

Regards, 

Victor 

0 Kudos