cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External SDRAM for RT1166, how to set the data bus width

luishs
Senior Contributor I

Hi.
I am designing a circuit with the RT1166 microcontroller. I need it to have an external 256Mbit (32Mbyte) SDRAM.

In the evaluation board scheme they use two 256Mbit SDRAM chips, with shared control and address bus lines, and each chip with 16bit data bus, that is, a 32 bit data bus.

In my design I don't need to put two memory chips (512Mbit), just one is enough for me. I also have the evaluation board of the RT1064, and in this they only install one SDRAM memory (256Mbit).

My question is how the width of the data bus to be used by external SDRAMs is defined in MCUXpresso. The only thing I have found in the MCU Settings is the definition of the SDRAM address and its size, but not the width of the data bus (16 or 32 bit).

Nor do I know if it is enough to define SDRAM as the first RAM memory after Flash in MCU Settings so that the microcontroller uses it instead of the internal RAM.

RT1166

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
3 Replies

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

SDRAM configuration is done in the DCD. Please check the community document, the first steps will help you enable SDRAM and using as the main SRAM.

I.MX RT - How to booting to SDRAM - NXP Community

Best regards,

Felipe

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Note:

- If this post answers your question, please click the "Mark Correct" button. Thank you!

- We are following threads for 7 weeks after the last post, later replies are ignored. Please open a new thread and refer to the closed one, if you have a related question at a later point in time. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------ 

0 Kudos

luishs
Senior Contributor I

Thanks, but in that document it is not indicated how to define the size of the SDRAM and the size of the data bus, it also deals with boot the application from SDRAM, I only need to use the external SDRAM as RAM, not boot the program from it.

I already learned about DCD, the problem is that there are a ton of parameters and MCUXpresso does not give help to know the usefulness of each parameter. Mainly I need to know which parameter defines the size of the SDRAM, the width of the data bus (16 or 32 bit) and the clock frequency for the SDRAM.

0 Kudos

FelipeGarcia
NXP Employee
NXP Employee

Hi,

I recommend you to check SEMC chapter of the reference manual so you can find the registers you will need to modify in the DCD according to your device needs.

As for the community document, I know you will not be booting from SDRAM but it is still helpful to enable SDRAM and using it as main RAM.

Best regards,

Felipe